Serve your guests a show-stopping brunch this holiday season with this overnight mushroom artichoke strata. This mushroom and artichoke-filled breakfast bake is a delicious savory, cheesy, make-ahead brunch dish that will be the center of your holiday table! (vegetarian, nut-free)
This post is sponsored by Ocean Mist Farms. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep Lively Table running!
Halloween is almost here, which means the holiday season is officially upon us. Seriously, where does the time go? In my head, it's still supposed to be summer.
Now that it's time to plan for the holidays, it means planning for holiday breakfast and brunch. Do people actually plan for the holidays, or do they just put whatever on the table? I'm more of a decide what you're going to make the week (or day) before kind of person. Unless it's Thanksgiving dinner, for which no planning is involved because it's the same glorious menu every year.
Whether you're hosting a festive brunch this year, or just trying to feed the family that might be staying with you for the holidays, you probably want something filling and delicious that will impress your guests. Or at least make them smile.
Well, look no further. I've got the perfect savory brunch dish for you! This overnight mushroom artichoke strata is full of flavor and filling enough to happily get your guests from brunch to holiday dinner. It's full of hearty veggies - caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, and Ocean Mist Farms artichoke hearts. Plus creamy eggs, parmesan, and thyme, all bound together by bread, because no breakfast is complete without carbs.
What's great about these breakfast strata (besides the amazing flavor!) is that you can assemble it the night before if you'd like. Then all you have to do in the morning is bake it, and you've got a holiday-worthy brunch that takes no pre-coffee work. That's a win for me!
To cook the artichokes, you have a couple of options. You can steam them on the stove if you'd like, but I like to roast them in the oven by wrapping them individually in foil and baking at 400°F until soft, about 40 minutes for large ones. If you're in a hurry, you can also cook them in the Instant Pot with a cup of water on the pressure setting for about 12-15 minutes.
However, you cook your delicious Ocean Mist Farms artichokes is up to you! Then mix them with all the yummy ingredients in this overnight mushroom artichoke breakfast strata, bake (or go to bed, then bake) and be prepared to woo your guests with the most delicious brunch dish of the season!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Overnight Mushroom Artichoke Strata
Serve your guests a show-stopping brunch this holiday season with this Overnight Mushroom Artichoke Strata. It's a delicious savory, cheesy, make-ahead brunch dish that will be the center of your holiday table! (vegetarian, nut-free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6-9 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups whole grain bread, cubed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ pint baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cooked Ocean Mist Farms artichokes
- ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- If cooking right away, heat oven to 350°F. Use 1 teaspoon of the oil to grease an 8x8" baking dish.
- Cut bread into ½-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard powder. Add bread cubes and thyme. Stir and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoon of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Clean leaves and fuzzy chokes off of artichokes, leaving heart and about ½ inch of the stems. Cut into quarters.
- Add mushroom mixture, artichokes, and ½ cup of parmesan to bread mixture. Stir and pour into greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup parmesan. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate overnight, if you wish.
- Bake 40-45 min, until edges are golden and eggs are set. Remove from oven and cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: overnight strata, mushroom and artichoke strata