PB&J Baked Oatmeal Bars are the perfect heart-healthy breakfast to start your day! Made with wholesome ingredients and no refined sugar. (gluten-free, vegetarian)
By posting this recipe, I am entering my recipe into the Taste the Mighty Concord Welch’s Recipe Contest, a sponsored recipe contest in which I am eligible to win prizes. I was not compensated for my time.
Did you eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a kid? I wasn’t a huge sandwich eater, so my mom didn’t usually pack sandwiches in my lunch. When she did, it was usually turkey on whole wheat bread.
So I really didn’t eat PB&J that much as a kid. I know most kids probably got tired of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I never did because I never really ate them. Which is probably why I appreciate the classic combination more as an adult.
I still scoff at the frozen, shrink-wrapped, sugar-laden “sandwiches” my friends ate like candy when I was growing up, but there is something to be said about something so classic as the combination of peanut better and jelly. Deep down, there is a healthy treat waiting to be made out of heart-healthy peanuts and fruit spread. It’s avoiding all of the added sugar and nonsense that usually comes with a classic PB&J that’s the hard part.
That’s why I love these PB&J baked oatmeal bars. They’re full of peanut butter and jelly flavor, but made with wholesome, heart-healthy ingredients. Unlike the white bread, highly processed peanut butter and sugary jelly you likely inhaled as a kids, these bars are made with fiber-packed rolled oats, natural peanut butter, and heart healthy chia seed jam made with Welch’s 100% grape juice for a filling breakfast you can feel good about eating (or giving to your kids).
Did you know that 100% grape juice made with concord grapes provides the same heart-healthy benefits as red wine? With plenty of polyphenols, the grape juice goes perfectly with all of the fiber and healthy fats in these breakfast bars for a nutritious and heart-healthy breakfast that reminds you of being a kid.
The best part about these bars is that you can prep them ahead of time on Sunday and have them ready to go to power your week ahead!
PB&J Baked Oatmeal Bars are the perfect heart-healthy breakfast to start your day! Made with wholesome ingredients and no refined sugar. (GF, vegetarian)
- 1 cup Welch's 100% Concord Grape Juice
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter*
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter*
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- In a small saucepan, heat grape juice over low heat. Stir in chia seeds until blended. Remove from heat and let thicken, 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a square 8x8" or 9x9" baking dish with parchment or lightly grease. In a medium bowl, stir together oats and flax seeds. In a glass measuring cup or another medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, milk, and peanut butter. Pour mixture into oats and stir to combine. Press oat mixture into prepared baking dish. Pour chia jam over the top and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, stir together ingredients for the crumble topping. Sprinkle topping over chia jam . Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool before cutting into bars. Store bars in an airtight ccontainer in the refrigerator.
*look for peanut butter made with just peanuts and salt.
Love this recipe? PIN it!