This creamy parmesan polenta with red wine mushrooms is a cozy, comforting vegetarian meal that will warm you from the inside! This simple, savory dish comes together in only 20 minutes thanks to quick-cooking polenta. (vegetarian, nut-free, gluten-free)
I'm not usually one for meatless dinners. I normally need some sort of meat or fish at least once a day to feel satisfied. BUT if there was a vegetarian dish that could convert me, it might be this creamy parmesan polenta with red wine mushrooms.
Meaty, earthy, umami-rich mushrooms cooked in a luxurious, garlicky red wine sauce sit atop rich, creamy polenta loaded with savory parmesan. It's a warm, luxurious affair of a bowl that'll have you so darn satisfied that you won't even remember that it's meatless.
And the whole dinner comes together in about 20 minutes.
Yes, a dish this delicious and cozy can be on your table in less time than it takes for takeout. While the mushrooms cook in the saucy red wine, the quick polenta cooks. Then all that's left is to stir in a little creamy goodness, and top that beautiful polenta with the red wine mushrooms. It's so easy, yet looks so elegant.
If you really want to, you can add some meat or fish to this dish for more protein. I've made it with leftover beef short ribs (oh mama, now you're talking), and I'm sure it would be divine with some seared scallops.
But if easy is what you're going for, you've got it made with this dish as-is.
Just make sure you have the best quality ingredients possible. With a dish this simple, the quality of your ingredients really makes it shine or taste just okay. So go for some really fresh, flavorful mushrooms (I used a combination of baby portabella and shiitakes), a good chunk of parmesan that you grate yourself, and a decent bottle of red wine that you enjoy drinking.
If you made this recipe, please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Creamy Parmesan Polenta with Red Wine Mushrooms
This creamy parmesan polenta with red wine mushrooms is a cozy, comforting vegetarian meal that will warm you from the inside! This simple, savory dish comes together in only 20 minutes thanks to quick cooking polenta. (vegetarian, nut-free, gluten-free)
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
For the Parmesan Polenta:
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quick polenta
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
For the Red Wine Mushrooms:
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8 oz) containers mushrooms, I used baby bella and shiitake
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- To prepare the mushrooms, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are slightly wilted and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, worcestershire sauce, and wine. Simmer on low for 10 minutes, or until wine has reduced slightly.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water. Add to mushroom mixture and stir. Continue to cook until the wine sauce is thickened.
- While mushrooms are simmering, prepare the polenta.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add polenta and stir. Lower heat and simmer until polenta is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic powder, pepper, butter and parmesan.
- Scoop polenta into bowls and top with mushrooms.
Keywords: mushrooms and polenta, parmesan polenta