An easy and delicious Italian sausage frittata with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella is a quick and healthy brunch or dinner! (gluten-free, nut-free)
Sorry for the flooding of sweets lately. (But not really sorry.) It is holiday season, after all. But I know many people don’t have a huge sweet tooth like all the members of my family. And even if you do have a sweet tooth, all of those sugary holiday goodies can really get you after a while. So what will you feed your holiday guests on Christmas morning? There are lots of sweet breakfasts that are easy to throw together and feed a crowd (just ask Pinterest), but how about a savory one that will really wow your guests? Enter my Italian sausage frittata.
This recipe actually kind of came together on accident. My husband and I processed our own deer this year, and since we had never done so, we didn’t exactly have a recipe when it came to making the breakfast sausage. After a little research, I came up with what seemed like a fairly good spice blend. And we added it to the entire allotment of ground venison for the sausage. What came out tasted more like Italian sausage, which tasted really good actually, but it’s not breakfast sausage. I blame the fennel.
So what is a lady to do with 10 lbs of Italian sausage for breakfast? Make this Italian sausage frittata of course! I basically thought of something Italian and added eggs to turn it into breakfast. And it was fabulous!
Simply brown the sausage, put it in your tart dish with some mozzarella and basil, add the eggs, and bake! I added the tomatoes on the top in the last 10 minutes to ensure a non-watery frittata. Once it’s done, drizzle with some balsamic and sprinkle fresh basil and you’re done!
You could also make this for lunch or dinner. The Italian sausage makes it less restricted to only breakfast. The venison sausage is pretty lean, so if you want something with less fat, go with turkey or a very lean variety. It’s great served alongside a green salad. Enjoy!Print
Italian Sausage Frittata
This easy and delicious Italian sausage frittata with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella is an quick and healthy brunch or dinner! (gluten-free, nut-free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 slices 1x
- Category: breakfast
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, grated
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced and divided
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly cracked
- Balsamic reduction, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Liberally oil a tart or pie dish with olive oil.
- Place tomato slices on a paper towel and lightly sprinkle with salt. Let stand while the water comes to the surface.
- Spread cooked sausage crumbles, mozzarella, and half of the basil in the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper and whisk well. Pour egg mixture over sausage and mozzarella.
- Blot tomatoes with a paper towel, then place on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake frittata for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove frittata and sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve warm drizzled with balsamic reduction (optional).
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
You may double the recipe for a 9×13 inch pan if you have a bigger crowd!
Keywords: breakfast, brunch