Enjoy classic Greek lamb souvlakis at home with this easy and delicious recipe featuring tender grilled lamb, creamy homemade tzatziki sauce and whole-grain pitas.
I'm so excited about today's recipe, y'all. I've wanted to share a recipe for homemade Greek souvlakis for a long time, and I'm finally getting to it! I don't know why I've waited so long to share this delicious recipe for homemade Greek lamb souvlakis with you. But I'm sorry for holding out!
When Mr. Table and I lived in Dallas, one of our favorite restaurants to go to was a Greek place called Ziziki's. It was within walking distance from our condo so we would make a date night out of walking down and enjoying some delicious Greek food and making a stop at our favorite frozen custard shop before heading home.
Ziziki's is where we first tried Greek lamb souvlakis, and we were immediately hooked. I wish I had a cooler story, like trying a Souvlaki while traveling through Europe, but I don't. I guess that's what bucket lists are for.
Now that we have a big enough kitchen and grilling situation outside, Mr. Table and I have been making our own souvlakis at home with lamb, chicken, and even salmon. They are absolutely amazing and so perfect for celebrating warmer weather!
The results of these easy Greek lamb souvlakis are to die for. A warm, whole grain pita filled with juicy marinated lamb grilled to perfection and topped with creamy tzatziki, feta, and red onion is just heavenly. It makes a wonderfully nutritious dinner on a relaxing weekend along with a Greek salad and a glass of wine.
If you love Greek food but have never tried it at home, you have got to try this recipe for Greek Lamb souvlakis. It's the perfect recipe to get your feet wet with lamb, and it's an easy and healthy dinner that you'll make again and again. No fancy restaurant or trip to Europe necessary!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Greek Lamb Souvlakis
Enjoy classic Greek lamb souvlakis at home with this easy and delicious recipe featuring tender grilled lamb, creamy homemade tzatziki sauce and whole grain pitas.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4 pitas 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Greek
For lamb skewers:
- 1 ½ lbs lamb chops
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp coarsley cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 whole grain pitas
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup tzatziki sauce
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Cut lamb chops into 1-inch cubes and place in a container. Add diced onion, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir to combine and cover. Let lamb marinate in the refrigerator 1-2 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Skewer lamb onto metal skewers or presoaked wooden skewers. Grill lamb skewers on high, rotating every couple of minutes, until pink in the center, about 8-10 minutes.
- Heat pitas on the grill until just warmed but still soft and pliable. Top with lamb, onion, feta, tzatziki sauce and fresh dill. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek lamb, Greek Souvlakis