Classic scotcheroos are made a little healthier with brown rice cereal and no corn syrup in this easy, delicious recipe. The peanut butter rice krispie squares with chocolate butterscotch topping make great homemade Christmas gifts and cookie exchange treats!
Of all the delicious Christmas treats my family makes each year, scotcheroos are some of the most-loved among the whole family, across generations (an including in-laws!). Not only do they taste heavenly, but they also stir up so many memories of holiday baking and spending time with my family. If you're a fan of scotcheroos, this recipe is a MUST!
What Are Scotcheroos?
Scotcheroos are essentially peanut butter rice krispie treats topped with a silky smooth chocolate and butterscotch topping. One bite and you'll fall in love. They're so full of rich deliciousness that one little square goes a long way! If you've never had a scotcheroo, you'll want to make them immediately! These little treats are perfect for handing out to coworkers, neighbors, family, and friends for the holidays. They're also proven to make Santa smile!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
What makes this recipe great is that it uses no corn syrup! Traditional versions typically use Karo syrup, but I swapped in honey instead. Not that corn syrup is evil, but if you prefer to leave it out of your food, or perhaps just don't have any, this is your recipe! I also used natural creamy peanut butter and brown rice cereal - a little bit healthier swaps (and ingredients that I typically keep in my pantry). The result is absolutely divine little bites of chocolate peanut butter bliss!
- Creamy peanut butter. I use the natural kind (made with only peanuts and salt).
- Crispy rice cereal. I use brown rice kripies (such as Barbabra's or One Degree Organics).
- Chocolate chips. I like dark chocolate chips, but semisweet work well too.
- Butterscotch chips.
How To Make Them
- In a large skillet, heat the honey, sugar and peanut butter over medium low heat until the sugar dissolves and it barely bubbles.
- Turn off the heat and add the rice cereal. Stir to coat the cereal evenly.
- Press the mixture into an 8 or 9-inch baking dish lined with parchment.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in the microwave, stirring until smooth.
- Pour over the cereal in and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Let everything cool until the topping is hardened before cutting into squares.
Tips For Perfect Scotcheroos
- Be careful not to let the peanut butter mixture get too hot or it will get hard when the scotcheroos cool. You want to make sure the sugar dissolves, but it should be barely bubbling when you turn off the heat.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, to avoid burning them. It takes a little longer, but it gets the chocolate nice and smooth.
- For thicker scotcheroos and topping, use a smaller dish. You can also double the recipe for a 9x13 inch pan.
More Christmas Treats You'll Love
- The Best Cutout Sugar Cookies With Icing
- Cocodates (No Bake Coconut Date Cookies)
- Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Peppermint Bark Icebox Cookies
- Maple Bourbon Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Scotcheroos (No Corn Syrup Recipe)
syrup in this easy, delicious recipe. The peanut butter rice krispie squares with chocolate butterscotch topping make great homemade Christmas gifts and cookie exchange treats!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooling Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar or pure cane sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a large skillet, heat sugar, honey and peanut butter over medium low heat, stirring until combined and just barely bubbly. Pay close attention so that you don't over-cook the mixture.
- Turn off heat and stir in rice cereal.
- Press into an 8"x 8" baking dish lined with parchment.
- In a medium glass bowl, melt chocolate and butterscotch chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour over cereal mixture in the pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Let cool until chocolate is hardened. You can speed up the process by placing in the refrigerator. Once set, cut into squares.
- Careful not to let the peanut butter mixture get too hot. If it overcooks, the resulting scotcheroos will be hard.
- You can use regular rice krispies if you can't find brown rice cereal.
- Recipe can be doubled for a 9x13" pan.
- For thicker squares, use a slightly smaller pan.
- Store scotcheroos in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: scotcheroos, no corn syrup scotcheroos, chocolate peanut butter rice krispie squares
This post was originally published December 2016 and has been updated.