Healthier Scotcheroos are classic peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch holiday treats made with whole grain cereal and no corn syrup. (gluten-free)
Out of all of the Christmas treats that are family tradition to make every year, Scotcheroos are probably the most reminiscent of Christmas to me. Each year, we make lots of fun cookies and candies, from sugar cookies and snowball cookies, to candies like buckeyes and heavenly hash. I’ve shared many of the recipes with you by now, and I promise I’ll get to the rest of them eventually!
This traditional family treat is one that only comes around once a year, at Christmas. My mom always makes one batch, and once they are gone, that’s it until the next year. That’s one of the things that makes Scotcheroos so special. They’re strictly for Christmas, and they’re AMAZING.
These crispy cereal bars have a peanut butter base covered with a silky smooth chocolate butterscotch topping. One bite and you’ll fall in love. They’re so full of rich deliciousness that one little square goes a long way!
Of course I made a few healthy swaps in my Scotcheroos. The original Scotcheroo recipe calls for corn syrup, which I swapped out for honey. I also used puffed brown rice cereal instead of traditional crispy rice cereal to add a little whole grain goodness. I prefer the taste of dark chocolate to semi-sweet chips, so I used extra dark chips, but it’s totally up to you.
These little treats are perfect for handing out to coworkers, neighbors, family, and friends for the holidays. They always appear on our family’s goodie tray, and on Santa’s plate of cookies (I’m convinced that’s why I got so many cool presents as a kid). They’re super easy to whip up, and you may even already have all of the ingredients.
Make a batch of delicious Scotcheroos this holiday with your loved ones, and I guarantee you will be begged to bring them back year after year.
What is your favorite homemade holiday treat?
Healthier Scotcheroos are classic peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch holiday treats made with whole grain cereal and no corn syrup.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a large skillet, heat sugar, honey and peanut butter over medium low heat, stirring until combined and bubbly. Turn off heat and stir in cereal. Press into an 8"x 8" baking dish lined with parchment.
- In a medium glass bowl, melt chocolate and butterscotch chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Pour over cereal mixture in the pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Let cool until chocolate is hardened. You can speed up the process by placing in the refrigerator. Once set, cut into squares and enjoy! Store in an airtight container on the counter.
Recipe can be doubled for a 9x13" pan.
Love this recipe? PIN it!