Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy this lightened up Greek yogurt cinnamon crumb coffee cake made with whole wheat flour and a delicious cinnamon streusel swirl.It’s a delicious holiday brunch or anytime treat!
Does your family have a special tradition for Christmas morning?
Growing up, ours always went like this: After a late night of celebration and being squished in the same bed all night with my sister and me (another family tradition), my little brother would always wake us up before the sun came up to run downstairs and open gifts.
With the coffee brewing and my parents still half asleep, we’d look in our stockings and check out all of the cool stuff the Santa had brought for us. Then we’d all open the gifts from each other and try to fight off being captured on camera sleepy-eyed in our PJs. Then always came the question, what’s for breakfast?
What is the best breakfast treat to pair with a hot cup of coffee on Christmas morning? If you answered, coffee cake, of course, then this Greek yogurt cinnamon crumb coffee cake is for you! (If not, see: Gingerbread Waffles, Eggs Benedict Quiche, Italian Sausage Frittata, or my Breakfast and Brunch Pinterest board.)
This delicious cinnamon crumb coffee cake made with Greek yogurt is great to feed a crowd. It can be whipped up fairly quickly with just a few ingredients, makes your house smell heavenly while it bakes, and is the perfect accompaniment to eggs, bacon, fruit, and of course, a nice cup of coffee! It can also be made ahead of time, so it’s perfect to bring along if you are traveling to another person’s home for brunch.
I upped the nutrition profile in this cinnamon crumb coffee cake just a little bit to help you stay full just a little longer than you would with a typical breakfast pastry. It’s lightened up with Greek yogurt, and uses white whole wheat flour for extra fiber, but with a texture that’s still nice and tender.
The result is a perfectly moist, rich coffee cake with just the right amount of sweetness and a gorgeous cinnamon streusel crumb. Grab a cup of coffee and dig in to this delicious Greek yogurt cinnamon crumb coffee cake!
Do you have a Christmas morning routine? Tell me about it in the comments below!
Greek Yogurt Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy this lightened up Greek yogurt cinnamon crumb coffee cake made with whole wheat flour and a delicious cinnamon streusel swirl. It’s a delicious holiday brunch or anytime treat!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
For the Streusel:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp cold butter, cubed
For the Cake:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease and flour an 8 x 8″ baking dish.
- To make the streusel, whisk the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in cold butter cubes until mixture forms small crumbs. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, beat together the oil, Greek yogurt, sugar, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Add the dry ingredients, and mix on low until just combined, scraping down the sides when needed.
- Spread half of the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle half of the streusel topping over the batter. Spread remaining cake batter over the streusel, then sprinkle with remaining streusel.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting.
Adapted from http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/05/08/old-fashioned-sour-cream-crumb-cake/