Scotcheroos (No Corn Syrup Recipe)
syrup in this easy, delicious recipe. The peanut butter rice krispie squares with chocolate butterscotch topping make great homemade Christmas gifts and cookie exchange treats!
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooling Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or pure cane sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a large skillet, heat sugar, honey and peanut butter over medium low heat, stirring until combined and just barely bubbly. Pay close attention so that you don't over-cook the mixture.
- Turn off heat and stir in rice cereal.
- Press into an 8"x 8" baking dish lined with parchment.
- In a medium glass bowl, melt chocolate and butterscotch chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour over cereal mixture in the pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Let cool until chocolate is hardened. You can speed up the process by placing in the refrigerator. Once set, cut into squares.
- Careful not to let the peanut butter mixture get too hot. If it overcooks, the resulting scotcheroos will be hard.
- You can use regular rice krispies if you can't find brown rice cereal.
- Recipe can be doubled for a 9x13" pan.
- For thicker squares, use a slightly smaller pan.
- Store scotcheroos in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: scotcheroos, no corn syrup scotcheroos, chocolate peanut butter rice krispie squares