Healthier buttermilk spice muffins made with whole wheat flour and a crunchy walnut spice topping make a delicious breakfast treat or snack for busy days!
Back in high school, my girlfriends and I used to go to dinner at a café, which was actually a chain restaurant, but it felt special to us at the time. And we would talk and laugh so loud that I'm sure everyone around wanted to strangle us. Not that we ever noticed or cared, we just liked spending time together. And the muffins.
The café we went to had the best buttermilk muffins ever. We would all order a salad for dinner just for the fact that the salads always came with a muffin the size of a small child's head. And man were they good. My favorite ones to order were the buttermilk spice muffins.
I ended up finding a recipe online for the buttermilk spice muffins and decided that I could take on the challenge of making them healthier. Not an easy task for a delicious, sugar-filled muffin that I'm sure had tons of butter and more calories than you need in a day. Never one to back down from a challenge, I took it on head first. Step one was to make it a reasonable portion size.
Once I made the recipe into normal-sized muffins (12 to a tin), the rest was fairly easy. I cut the sugar a bit, added some creamy greek yogurt and subbed in low-fat buttermilk. And of course, I used whole wheat flour for good measure. The result was a batch of delicious, sweet buttermilk spice muffins just like I remember, crumbly walnut topping and all.
If you're looking for some healthier muffins to help you get through your week, this just might be the one! Bake a batch of buttermilk spice muffins on Sunday evening, and you've got some sweet, buttery deliciousness waiting for you to wake up and smell the coffee all week long!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Healthier Buttermilk Spice Muffins
Delicious Buttermilk Spice Muffins with a crumbly walnut topping made healthier with greek yogurt and whole wheat flour!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 18 muffins 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line muffin tins with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, yogurt, and butter until well combined. Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. Mix until smooth.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until just combined, careful not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into muffin liners, filling each cup ¾ of the way full.
- For the topping, pulse all ingredients in a small food processor until nuts form small crumbles.
- Sprinkle topping onto batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze extra muffins for later.
Keywords: healthy spiced muffins, healthy buttermilk muffins