Healthy Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt
Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy this healthy coffee cake made with Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour. With a delicious cinnamon streusel swirl and crumb topping, this lightened up coffee cake is a great brunch treat or snack!
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
For the Streusel:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp cold butter, cubed
For the Cake:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease and flour an 8 x 8" baking dish.
- To make the streusel, whisk the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork (or your fingers) cut in cold butter cubes until mixture forms small crumbs. Refrigerate until you're ready to top the cake.
- To make the cake batter, beat together the oil, Greek yogurt, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl with a hand mixer or whisk. You can also use a stand mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined and moistened, scraping down the sides when needed.
- Spread half of the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle half of the streusel topping over the batter.
- Spread remaining cake batter over the streusel, then sprinkle with remaining streusel.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few dampened crumbs on it.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
- Careful not to over-mix the batter once you add the flour to avoid a tough crumb.
- Use a metal pan for more even baking. Ceramic dishes tend to bake the outside more quickly than the center, resulting in dry edges.
- Careful not to over-bake, as the cake will dry out if it's in the oven too long.
- Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction.
Keywords: healthy coffee cake, Greek yogurt coffee cake, cinnamon crumb coffee cake with greek yogurt