Try a new take on potato salad this summer with this healthy, herby, vinegar-based French-style potato salad. (vegan, gluten-free, nut-free)
There is something so nostalgic about potato salad that just screams summer, don't you think? I grew up spending my summers at the lake with my family, a big batch of my mom's mustard potato salad in the fridge every weekend, waiting to be eaten with whatever barbecue my dad decided to smoke.
While my mom's mustard potato salad will always be my go-to for a classic summer side dish, I've enjoyed experimenting with different kinds of potato salads, and this one just might be my new favorite - French-style potato salad.
What is French potato salad?
What makes this potato salad French? There are lots of recipes for French-style potato salad, but they all generally have a few things in common - a vinegar and oil-based dressing, lots of fresh herbs, and no mayo. This one checks all the boxes, and it's absolutely delicious!
Why You'll Love This French-Style Potato Salad
This potato salad ditches the creamy mayo-based dressing for a healthier, tangy vinaigrette dressing. Filled with celery and tons of fresh herbs, it's light, fresh, and naturally dairy-free. It's perfect for spring and summer picnics and cookouts.
- Baby potatoes - I like baby Yukon golds or fingerling potatoes, but baby red potatoes work, too.
- Green onions
- Homemade mustard vinaigrette- made of garlic, whole grain mustard, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
How To Make It
- Cut the potatoes in half and add to a pot of water with a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and boil until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
- Add potatoes to a large bowl with chopped celery and herbs.
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk the vinaigrette.
- Pour the dressing over the potato salad, starting with about half. Stir to coat and add more as needed.
- Refrigerate, covered, until you're ready to serve.
Tips and Recipe Variations
- Feel free to add any other fresh herbs you like, such as basil or tarragon.
- You can also add a couple of tablespoons of chopped capers or cornichons, if you like.
- The potatoes will soak up dressing as it sits, so you may need to add a bit more before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Healthy Potato Salad Recipes
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a star rating in the comments below!Print
Herby French-Style Potato Salad
take on potato salad this summer with this healthy, herby, vinegar-based French-style potato salad. (vegan, gluten-free, nut-free)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: French
- 1 lb baby potatoes (red or gold)
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp old-style whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch cane sugar
- Cut potatoes in even-sized halves or fourths. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Boil potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, green onions, parsley, celery and dill.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over potato mixture, starting with about half and adding more as needed. Gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The potatoes will soak up some of the dressing as it sits. I like to start with about half of the dressing and add more as needed, letting it sit for a while before I add more dressing.
- Add other fresh herbs to suit your taste if you'd like.
- If you prefer, you can add 1-2 tablespoon drained capers or chopped cornichons.
Keywords: french potato salad, French style potato salad, vinegar based potato salad with herbs