Try a new take on potato salad this summer with this healthy, vinegar and herb-based French-style potato salad. (vegan, gluten-free, nut-free)
There is something so nostalgic about potato salad that just screams summer, don’t you think? I grew up spending my summers at the lake with my family, a big batch of my mom’s mustard potato salad in the fridge every weekend, waiting to be eaten with whatever barbecue my dad decided to smoke.
While my mom’s mustard potato salad will always be my go-to for a classic summer side dish, I’ve enjoyed experimenting with different kinds of potato salads, and this one just might be my new favorite – French-style potato salad.
What is French potato salad?
What makes this potato salad French? There are lots of recipes for French-style potato salad, but they all generally have a few things in common – a vinegar and oil-based dressing, lots of fresh herbs, and no mayo. This one checks all the boxes, and it’s absolutely delicious!
To make this French-style potato salad, with baby potatoes. Red or gold both work well. You can even use fingerling potatoes if you’d like. Cut them in half (or fourths if they’re on the larger side) and boil them with a pinch of salt. Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
Now comes all the flavor! Chop up some celery, green onions, and fresh herbs (I used parsley and dill, but you could try other fresh herbs as well) to throw into the mix, then whip up the tangy, savory mustard and apple cider vinegar vinaigrette to pour over everything. I start with half of the dressing, then add more as needed. The potatoes will soak up a little bit of the liquid (and flavor!) as it sits, so you may need to wait a little while before adding more dressing.
This tasty French-style potato salad is a fun change-up for a summer side dish. It will bring a little sophistication and a whole lot of yum to your warm-weather meals!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a star rating in the comments below!Print
French Style Potato Salad
Try a new take on potato salad this summer with this healthy, vinegar and herb based French style potato salad. (vegan, gluten-free, nut-free)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: French
- 1 lb baby potatoes (red or gold)
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp old-style whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch cane sugar
- Cut potatoes in even-sized halves or fourths. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, green onions, parsley, celery and dill.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over potato mixture, starting with about half and adding more as needed. Gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The potatoes will soak up some of the dressing as it sits. I like to start with about half of the dressing and add more as needed, letting it sit for a while before I stir it and add more dressing.
- Add other fresh herbs to suit your taste if you’d like.
- If you prefer, you can add 1-2 tbsp drained capers.
Keywords: potato salad, French potato dalad