Simple Carne Asada with Avocado Chimichurri – this flavorful grilled flank steak topped with creamy avocado chimichurri sauce is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner your family will love! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
I will admit that we don’t eat beef all that much in our house. But it’s not because we don’t love it! Mr. Table is a West Texas man from a family with a ranching history. He’d eat beef every day if I let him!
Honestly, I just don’t buy it that much. We always a have huge stash of venison in our freezer, so we normally use that in place of beef for things like burgers, enchiladas, and chili. However, we do love a good steak!
Mr. Table perfected the art of the flank steak when we were poor college students on his old “grandpa grill” as we liked to call it. He’s still the best griller around, even if we have upgraded our grill a bit!
Flank steaks are generally pretty inexpensive and easy to prepare, you just have to know the cut of meat you’re dealing with. With the right marinade, spices, and cooking method, flank steak yields a tender and flavorful carne asada with very little effort.
First, be sure to trim any pieces of silvery-looking skin. It will make your meat tough and stringy. Then I like to let it marinate for an hour or so. Lightly scoring the surface will help the flavors soak in. To yield a tender steak, sear over high heat for just a few minutes on each side. You want a nice reddish-pink center. Over-cooked meat will be tough. Rest the meat for 10 minutes while you prepare the chimichurri so that the juices can soak in. Finally, cut the meat against the grain for the most tender and juicy results. See, not too hard!
I know that this is not an authentic carne asada recipe, but for an easy and flavorful meal, it fits the bill perfectly. If you have the time to whip up the real version with fresh ingredients and dried chiles, you definitely should some time! This version is a delicious stand-in for weeknights, though. The avocado adds a nice creaminess (and healthy fat) to classic chimichurri that takes the steak over the top.
Your family will love this delicious carne asada with avocado chimichurri. It’s such an easy dinner, and the flavor is out of this world! Serve it will some grilled vegetables or sweet potatoes and a fresh salad for a tasty meal you’ll want to serve over and over again!
Simple Carne Asada with Avocado Chimichurri - this flavorful grilled flank steak topped with creamy avocado chimichurri sauce is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner your family will love! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp avocado oil*
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 large avocado (or 1/2 small)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar (or red or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tbsp avocado* or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Use a sharp knife to remove any visible silvery pieces of skin. Lightly score the surface of the steak by making very small diagonal cuts with the very tip of your knife going both directions so you get diamond shapes on the surface. The cuts should be barely visible.
- Add steak to a large zip-top bag with garlic, salt, pepper, chipotle, orange juice, and oil. Close bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Heat grill or grill pan to high heat. Sear steak on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove from grill and cover with foil. Rest for 10-15 minutes.
- To make chimichurri, add all ingredients to blender or food processor. Pulse until combined but not liquid.
- Slice steak against the grain and serve with avocado chimichurri.
*I use Chosen Foods Avocado Oil. Use code LIVELYTABLE20 for 20% off your order.
Love this recipe? PIN it!