Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons are as easy to make as they are delicious! They are the perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day or everyday! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
I’ve always been a coconut and chocolate lover. Growing up, an almond joy was one of my favorite candy bars. I liked to pick them all out of my Halloween candy and save them for last. So it’s no surprise that I’m slightly obsessed with these almond joy coconut macaroons.
Before this recipe, I’d never tried making coconut macaroons. I’d had them (and loved them) before, but I never knew how easy they are to make! They take only 7 simple ingredients that are probably already in your pantry, and are so easy to put together! The gist: Just whip the egg whites with the sugar and stir in some coconut, bake, and dip in chocolate. So easy!
I think these almond joy coconut macaroons make a fantastic Valentine’s Day dessert. I’d be happy to receive these instead of a fancy box of chocolates! But they are also good for any time you want a sweet treat!
My philosophy when it comes to dessert is this: Eat it! But make sure it’s worth it. And to me, homemade is almost always worth it, while store-bough is pretty much never worth it. Homemade desserts also tend to be healthier since they don’t need anything to make them shelf-stable for a certain period of time. Personally, I normally tend to use healthier ingredients in my desserts, like whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt (as long as quality and flavor aren’t sacrificed). Although there’s certainly nothing wrong with an indulgent, full-fat, full-sugar, white flour dessert every once in a while! Because y’all know I’m not about deprivation.
These almond joy coconut macaroons just happen to be gluten-free and grain-free since they have no need for flour. They are also dairy-free if you use dairy-free chocolate chips, making them great to share with any of your friends with special dietary needs. But honestly, nobody will care, because these cookies are just plain delicious!
If you know a coconut or almond joy lover, you must make them these almond joy coconut macaroons. They are to die for, and too simple not to make!
Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons are as easy to make as they are delicious! They are the perfect dessert for Valentine's Day or everyday! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 15 almonds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate*
- Optional: chopped almonds for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread coconut into a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until just slightly golden, watching carefully so that it doesn't burn!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat egg whites and sugar until fluffy. Add almond extract, salt and coconut and stir until combined.
- Form coconut mixture into small balls. Push an almond into the center of each ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat. Continue with remaining coconut mixture.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate on low in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Dip macaroons into melted chocolate and place on parchment or a silicone baking mat to dry. Drizzle any remaining chocolate over the tops of macaroons. Sprinkle with chopped almonds (optional). Let harden completely before removing.
- Store in an airtight container.
*Use dairy-free chocolate if necessary
Love this recipe? PIN it!