This egg roll in a bowl recipe is a deconstructed egg roll dish. It is the perfect way to enjoy all your favorite flavors without any of the fuss. By stir-frying together egg roll filling ingredients like cabbage, carrots, and meat, you can create a flavorful egg roll in a bowl that's ready in minutes.
Why You'll Love Egg Roll in a Bowl
You'll love this egg roll in a bowl recipe because it is an easy and healthy way to enjoy all the flavors of a traditional egg roll without any of the added work. The dish requires minimal ingredients and can be cooked in no time. You can enjoy a meal that is packed with nutrition while still being satisfying and delicious.
This egg roll in a bowl is also versatile. You can customize the recipe to include your favorite ingredients, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or additional spices. There are endless possibilities, so no matter your dietary preference, you can use this egg roll in a bowl recipe.
Is this Recipe Healthy?
This egg roll in a bowl is an excellent way to have a well-balanced meal with lots of veggies and protein. Use lean ground beef to reduce the amount of saturated fat and calories in the dish. Lean ground beef is a great source of protein and other essential nutrients, such as iron and zinc.
All of the veggies provide fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. The carrots provide a huge amount of vitamin A in the form of beta carotene. The purple cabbage provides vitamin C, B vitamins, vitamin K, potassium, and manganese. This recipe is indeed healthy.
How to Make Egg Rolls in a Bowl
Prep the veggies:
- Slice the carrot into thin sticks.
- Thinly slice the white part of the spring onion. Dice the green part and set it aside.
- Peel and discard the outer leaves of the purple cabbage. Thinly slice the remaining cabbage.
- Peel and grate the fresh ginger.
- Peel and grate the garlic cloves.
Prep the stir-fry sauce and sriracha mayo sauce:
- Mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and red chili flakes. Set aside.
- Mix the sriracha with the mayonnaise and set aside.
Prepare the dish:
- Heat the neutral-tasting cooking oil in the wok or pan on high heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry on medium-high heat until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it is browned. Separate any big lumps. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil to the wok and cook the carrots and the white part of the onion until they start to soften, turn golden, and are fragrant.
- Add the purple cabbage and cook for 1 minute until it starts to get a bit soft.
- Add the browned meat back to the wok and mix well.
- Add the stir-fry sauce and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve alongside white rice in a bowl with the green part of the spring onion as garnish. Top with sriracha mayo sauce if desired.
Tips and Variations for Egg Roll in a Bowl
When it comes to making the perfect egg roll in a bowl, there are several tips and variations that can help.
- Use high-quality, fresh ingredients for the best flavor, texture, and nutrition.
- Make sure not to overcook the mixture so that the veggies still have some crunch when served.
- Try other proteins, such as ground turkey, pork, or chicken.
- Make the egg roll in a bowl vegetarian or vegan by leaving out the beef or substituting tofu or tempeh. You may want to leave off the optional sriracha mayo sauce also.
- Substitute or add other veggies, such as green cabbage, bell peppers, kale, or mushrooms.
- Try different spices and flavorings, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or hoisin sauce.
- Serve the egg roll in bowl over steamed rice or serve steamed rice on the side.
More Asian-Inspired Recipes
Egg Rolls in a Bowl FAQs
Examples of neutral-tasting cooking oils include vegetable oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and safflower oil. These oils have a mild flavor that won't overpower your dish.
You can store leftovers of this dish in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
As long as you use gluten-free soy sauce, this egg roll in a bowl recipe is gluten free. It is safe for people with Celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Egg roll in a bowl is a healthy dish that's full of flavor and makes for a great weeknight meal. This deconstructed egg roll has all the flavors of regular egg rolls but without the deep frying. It's also easy to customize with different proteins and veggies, so you can make it your own. With its perfect balance of protein, carbs, fats, and nutrients, egg roll in a bowl is sure to be a hit.Print
Eggroll in a bowl
Deconstructed Chinese eggroll, made in a stir fry style to be served as a delicious bowl. So good and easy to make!
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main meals
- Cuisine: Chinese- American
1 pound ground beef
1 head purple cabbage/half it is big
1 spring onion
2 garlic cloves
1 thumb of fresh ginger
2 tablespoons neutral-tasting cooking oil
Stir fry sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili flakes
Serving sauce (optional):
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
Start by prepping all the veggies:
Slice the carrot into thin sticks
Slice the white part of the spring onion thinly. Dice the green part and set it aside.
Peel the outer leaves of the purple cabbage and slice thinly.
Peel and grate the ginger thumb.
Peel and grate the garlic sauce.
2. Prep the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and red chili flakes. Set aside. Prep the serving sauce by mixing the sriracha with the mayonnaise and set it aside too.
3. Heat the wok or pan on high heat with the neutral-tasting cooking oil.
4. Add the garlic and ginger and fry on medium-high heat until fragrant. Add the ground beef to the wok and cook until is browned. Make sure to separate any big lumps. Set aside.
5. Add a bit more oil to the wok and cook the white part of the onion and the carrot until they start to soften, get golden, and are fragrant.
6. Add the purple cabbage to the pan and cook for 1 minute until it starts to get a bit soft.
7. Add the browned meat back to the pan and mix well.
8. Add the sauce to the pan and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
9. Serve in a bowl alongside some white rice with the green part of the spring onion as garnish. Optional, you can serve it with some sriracha mayo sauce on top.
This eggroll bowl is a delicious way to have a well-balanced meal with lots of veggies and protein. You can also do it by switching to other veggies like regular white cabbage, kale, bimi.. Also, you can switch the beef to turkey, chicken, or crumbled tofu.
Leftovers can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.