This flavorful ground beef casserole is a classic that everyone loves and devours. It's simple to make and can be tailored to your liking. Plus it's a great way to use up any leftover ground beef you might have. You can add any vegetables you like or use a different type of cheese. The possibilities are endless.
Why You'll Love this Ground Beef Casserole Recipe
This ground beef casserole recipe is hearty, filling, and packed with flavor. It's easy to make and can be on the table in under an hour. Whether you're looking for a new weeknight dinner idea or something to take to your next potluck, this dish is sure to please. Here's why you'll love it:
- The flavors in this dish are amazing. The combination of ground beef, peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, and spices is delicious. Your family will be asking for seconds.
- It's a budget-friendly recipe. Ground beef is affordable, making this casserole a great option if you're looking to save money.
- It's perfect for feeding a crowd. You can double or triple the recipe to feed more people, so it's ideal for potlucks and large gatherings.
Why Is this Recipe Healthy?
If you're looking for a healthy ground beef casserole recipe, this is a good one to try. There are a few reasons why this ground beef casserole recipe is healthy:
- It has a lot of vegetables. The red and green peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots, and garlic add vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytonutrients to this dish.
- You can use extra lean ground beef to get lots of protein and iron without a lot of saturated fat.
- You can use light cream to lower the amount of fat.
- This recipe uses olive oil, which is a healthy fat. It is a good source of monounsaturated fats.
- It's filling and satisfying, perfect for those nights when you're trying to eat a healthy meal but don't want to sacrifice flavor or satisfaction.
How to Make this Ground Beef Casserole
- Prep all the veggies: Finely chop the peppers, carrots, and onion. Press or grate the garlic cloves. Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and fry until golden and fragrant.
- Add the peppers and carrots and cook until they are soft and browned, about 10 minutes.
- Move the veggies to the sides of the skillet and add the ground beef to the center. Season the beef with the mixed spices, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper as it cooks. Brown the beef, making sure to break up any big lumps.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the cream to the skillet and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and browned.
Tips for Making this Ground Beef Casserole
There are a few things to keep in mind when making this ground beef casserole:
- Use lean or extra lean ground beef. Not only does this make the recipe healthier, but it makes it less greasy.
- Use a good quality cheese on the top of the casserole. This will make all the difference in taste.
- Use plenty of vegetables in the casserole. This will help to make it more hearty and filling. Feel free to substitute vegetables you like for any that you don't like.
- Don't be afraid to experiment with different seasonings and spices. This is what will give your casserole its own unique flavor.
More Ground Beef Recipes
- Thai Salad with Ginger Ground Beef and Peanut Dressing
- Gluten Free Beef and Quinoa Meatballs
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Burgers
- Healthy Grilled Burger Bowls
Ground Beef Casserole FAQs
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey, pork, chicken, or venison. It's completely up to you.
If you want to make this recipe vegan or vegetarian, you can substitute crumbled tofu for the beef, soy cream for the cream, and vegan cheese for the cheddar cheese.
You can store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This ground beef casserole recipe is a great option if you're looking for an affordable, healthy, and filling meal. With a little bit of planning and prep work, this ground beef casserole can be on the table in no time. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.Print
Easy Ground Beef Casserole
Super healthy and flavorful ground beef casserole. A classic that everyone loves and devours.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Lunch/dinner/beef
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 green Italian peppers (ore one green bell pepper)
- 2 carrots
- 1 white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon mixed spices: paprika, chili flakes, onion powder, garlic powder.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Start by prepping all the veggies:
- Finely chop the peppers, the carrots, and the onion.
- Press or grate the garlic cloves.
- Cut in quarters the mushrooms.
- In the skillet on medium heat add the olive oil, garlic, and onion and fry until golden and fragrant.
- Add the peppers, and carrots and cook until soft and browned (around 10 minutes)
- Move the veggies to the sides and add the ground beef to the center of the skillet. Season with the spices and herbs and let brown making sure to break any big lumps.
- Add the quartered mushrooms and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Add the cream to the skillet and mix well.
- In a baking dish add the cooked veggies and beef and cover with the cheddar cheese thoroughly.
- Cook in the oven (preheated) for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and browned.
You can substitute the ground beef for ground turkey, pork, or chicken, completely up to you. In case you want to make it vegan or vegetarian substitute the meat for crumbled tofu and the cream for soy cream, and the cheddar for vegan cheese.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.