This watermelon beet salad is a beautiful and refreshing salad to go with all of your summer meals! (vegetarian, gluten-free)
One of my favorite things about traveling is all of the new food I get to try! I always come home from vacations so inspired and ready to try new recipes in my own kitchen from wherever I have gone.
This watermelon beet salad was inspired by a recent trip to Mexico with all of the women in my family. Our "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" trips are a tradition that started a few years ago that we carry on in honor of my sweet Aunt Debbie and the lovely women who attended the original trip. This year was Cabo San Lucas and we stayed at a wonderful resort with really great restaurants. They had a few really delicious beet salads, one of them with watermelon, that I thought was genius. So naturally, I had to create it at home.
This delicious salad is bursting with flavor from gorgeous beets and watermelon, both great sources of antioxidants and fiber. When chilled and served together, they make an amazing flavor combination that can't be 'beet'! Excuse the food pun… I can't help it.
I absolutely love the addition of crunchy walnuts and creamy goat cheese, all accented by peppery watercress. It's such a delicious and flavorful combination that makes any meal more exciting! You could use feta in place of goat cheese in this yummy salad if you want. It would be more savory and salty, but just as delicious! Mr. Table doesn't care for goat cheese, so I use feta if I'm making it for him and I still love it just as much.
If you're looking for a fun, healthy and creative way to use your summer watermelon, you've got to try this watermelon beet salad! It looks and tastes impressive, but is so easy to make an amazing addition to any dinner. It would make a lovely dish to bring to all of your summer gatherings.
For more summer recipe inspiration, follow my Summer Recipes board on Pinterest!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Watermelon Beet Salad
This watermelon beet salad is a beautiful and refreshing salad for all of your summer meals! (vegetarian, gluten-free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer, salad
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 large beets, cooked and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled (or feta cheese)*
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup watercress
- 1 tbsp high quality olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- If using raw beets, preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub and rinse beets. Tightly wrap individual beets in foil and roast for 30-45 minutes, or until soft. Let cool before handling. It is best to cook the day before and cut into cubes right before making the salad.
- On a platter, arrange beet and watermelon cubes. Sprinkle with goat cheese, walnuts, and watercress. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
*omit for vegan
Keywords: watermelon beet salad