Do you love short ribs but don't have the time to cook them? Surprise—you can make them in your instant pot.
This easy recipe will show you how to make tender, fall-off-the-bone instant pot short ribs in just minutes. Plus, they're perfect for a weekend dinner or for feeding a crowd. So get your instant pot out and let's get cooking.
Why You'll Love this Instant Pot Short Ribs Recipe
If you're looking for an impressive yet easy dinner recipe, this is it. This recipe is simple and straightforward, but it yields some of the most tender, juicy, and flavorful short ribs you'll ever taste.
Since they're cooked in the instant pot, they cook much quicker and come out perfect every time. You'll love how simple it is to make these instant pot short ribs. You can even make them ahead of time and reheat when you're ready to eat.
This instant pot short ribs recipe is:
- Fall-off-the-bone tender
- Juicy and flavorful
- Packed with protein
- Perfect for a weeknight or weekend meal for your family or guests
- Quick to make in the pressure cooker
- Ready to serve with your favorite sides for a complete meal
Tips to Reduce the Fat from Short Ribs
When it comes to short ribs, the fat content can be a major concern. While there is no way to completely eliminate the fat from short ribs, here are some tips you can follow to reduce the amount of fat in your finished dish:
- Start with leaner cuts of meat. When choosing your short rib cuts, opt for those that have less marbling and visible fat. These leaner cuts will have less fat overall, which means there will be less to render out during cooking.
- Trim all the visible fat from the raw meat before cooking. This will help to further reduce the amount of fat in your finished dish.
- Once the short ribs are cooked and the sauce is made, skim any visible fat off the top of the sauce before serving.
- If possible, cook this dish a day ahead and store it in the fridge. As the dish cools, much of the fat will rise to the surface and solidify. You can then remove the solid fat before reheating.
How to Make Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Prep your veggies: Cut the peeled onions into thin slices. Press the peeled garlic cloves with a garlic press.
- Turn on the saute mode on the instant pot on medium heat.
- Add the olive oil. Saute the onions and garlic for 10 minutes until they are golden and fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Add the short ribs and brown for around 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and mixed spices.
- Once the meat is browned, mix in the tomato paste and the can of beer.
- Close the lid on the instant pot and pressure cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Vent on natural release for 20 minutes then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, if desired.
Mashed Potato Recipes to Serve with the Short Ribs
- Whipped Black Pepper Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Basic Rustic Mashed Potatoes
- Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- Smashed Potatoes with Chimichurri
Instant Pot Short Ribs FAQs
If you don't have a garlic press, mince the garlic cloves with a knife or grate them with a fine grater. You can also buy minced garlic in a jar.
You can use any beer for this short ribs recipe. But darker beers will give a more intense flavor.
You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days in a sealed container.
This instant pot short ribs recipe is simple to follow and takes much less time to cook in the instant pot. You'll be amazed at how tender and flavorful they are. And they're sure to be a hit with everyone who tries them. Try them this week, and let me know how you like them in the comments.Print
Instant pot short ribs
Fall from the bone short ribs in a delicious tomato and beer sauce. Insanely good and easy to make.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes on sautee mode, 45 minutes pressure cook, 20 minutes natural release
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 white onions
- 1 can beer (12 fl oz)
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mixed spices: oregano, thyme, paprika, chili flakes, parsley.
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Start by prepping the veggies:
- Peel the onions and slice them thinly.
- Peel the garlic cloves and press them with the garlic press. You can also mince them with the knife or grate them with a fine grater.
- In the instant pot on the sautee mode on medium heat add the olive oil and the onions and garlic cloves. Sautee them for 10 minutes until golden and fragrant. Stir occasionally.
- Add the short ribs to the pot to brown them for around 5 minutes. Add the salt and spices at this point.
- Once the meat is browned add the tomato paste and the can of beer. Mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 45 minutes on high pressure.
- Let do a natural release for 20 minutes and then manually release any pressure left.
- Serve over mashed potatoes
These short ribs can be done with any beer of your liking, or the one you have on hand, I’ve tried with several kinds, and all the time the results are amazing. With darker beers, the flavors will be a bit more intense but that’s about it.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in a sealed container.
Leave a Reply