Smashed Chickpea Avocado Salad Sandwich Recipe
This delicious smashed chickpea and avocado salad is a sustainable, plant-based option reminiscent of tuna salad! (vegan, nut-free, gluten-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 min
- Yield: 6 sandwiches 1x
- Category: lunch
- Cuisine: vegan
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 12 slices whole grain bread (or gluten-free, if necessary)
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas and avocado together with a potato masher or fork. I like to leave it a little bit chunky, but you can make it as smooth as you like.
- Add lemon juice, green onion, dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered, until ready to serve.
- When you’re ready to make the sandwiches, scoop the avocado mixture onto each of 6 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices.
Smashed chickpea avocado salad can be made up to a day in advance. Squeeze fresh lemon over the top before covering and storing to prevent avocado from browning.
Keywords: chickpeas, avocado, lunch, vegan