Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Homemade Hatch green chile chicken enchiladas with healthy homemade green enchilada sauce are the cheesy, spicy Tex-Mex dinner of your dreams! They're perfect for using leftover chicken and roasted green chiles. (gluten-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 enchiladas 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup roasted Hatch green chiles, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack or monterey jack cheese
For the Enchiladas:
- 8 corn tortillas
- Avocado oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 1 1/2 cups Hatch green chile enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack or monterey jack cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine chicken, chiles, onion and cheese in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet over low heat. Pour a small amount of oil in the bottom. Heat each tortilla in oil for about 20 seconds per side or until pliable and warm but not crunchy. Place tortillas on a plate with paper towels to drain.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch baking dish. Spread a thin layer of of sauce in the bottom.
- Assemble enchiladas. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture into a tortilla and roll up. Place in the baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas, spreading with a spoon to cover tortillas entirely. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake enchiladas 15-20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve with cilantro, jalapeño slices, diced red onion, or avocado (optional).
- For creamy enchilada sauce, stir 1/3 cup sour cream into the enchilada sauce.
- If using canned green chiles, increase the amount to 1/2 cup for more flavor.
- Leftover enchiladas reheat well (they're often even better the next day!).
- This recipe can be doubled easily.
- I like to use leftover chicken, but if you don't have any made, poach one large chicken breast (or 2 small) in broth in a saucepan on the stove until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Then use two forks to shred the chicken into pieces.
Keywords: hatch green chile enchiladas, green chile chicken enchiladas, healthy chicken enchiladas