These easy gingersnaps with the delicious flavors of spicy fresh ginger and molasses are made with whole wheat flour in just one bowl. Even though they're simple, they're a must make Christmas cookie! (dairy-free version included)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: About 18 tablespoon sized cookies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted (or coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch ground white pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars and whisk until well blended.
- Add molasses, egg, vanilla and ginger. Whisk until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and spices into bowl with wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Scoop the batter by the teaspoon or tablespoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, 1 inch apart. No need to flatten, the dough will spread as it bakes.
- Bake cookies 6-8 minutes (or 8-10 minutes for tablespoon size) until they appear barely set. Remove from oven and let cool a couple minutes before transferring to cooling rack (they'll firm up as they cool).
- For dairy-free, use melted coconut oil in place of butter.
- If your oven tends to run cool, set it to 375°F.
- For nicely rounded cookies, use a cookie scoop. I use a tablespoon sized scoop for larger cookies.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: gingersnaps, gingersnap cookies, whole wheat gingersnaps