THE Best Southern Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
This is THE best Southern cornbread stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving! It’s rich, savory and full of flavor without using a ton of butter. This traditional stuffing recipe needs to be on your holiday table! (vegetarian, gluten free option)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: -25837705.916667 minute
- Yield: 13x9" pan
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 8×8-inch pan prepared cornbread
- 1/2 loaf bread (sandwich, French, whole grain all work)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 med onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Cut cornbread and bread into roughly 1/2-inch cubes. Place on a baking sheet and let sit overnight on the counter covered loosely with a towel, to stale, or toast in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stale bread to a very large bowl with green onion, parsley and thyme.
- If it isn’t heated already, heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Place butter in a large skillet. Heat over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic and celery. Cook, stirring, until onion and celery is slightly softened, 5-10 minutes. Add 1 cup of the broth and let simmer about 5 more minutes.
- Add onion and celery mixture to bowl with the bread. Add Gently stir to coat.
- Whisk together eggs, remaining broth, salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture and stir gently again. Pour mixture into prepared pan and cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 15-20 minutes.
Keywords: stuffing, cornbread, Thanksgiving