Healthy Mole Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers
These healthy baked Mole Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers filled with mole-covered shredded chicken are a delicious and healthy Mexican-inspired dinner to use leftover chicken. (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 4 poblano peppers, seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups mole sauce
- Fresh cilantro and Mexican crema or sour cream (optional), for topping
- Heat oven to 400° F. Cut a T shape in each poblano by making a horizontal cut at the top and a vertical cut down the center of only one side (do not cut all the way through) so you can remove and discard the seeds.
- Place poblanos on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment and roast 20 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, combine the chicken and the mole sauce, coating the chicken well.
- Spoon chicken mixture into each of the roasted peppers. Place back in to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, with Mexican creama and fresh cilantro (optional).
- Make sure your mole sauce is gluten-free, if necessary.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, leave off the crema on top.
- If you can't find poblano peppers (also called pasilla peppers) you can also use bell peppers, though they won't be as spicy.
- You can use any leftover meat that you have, not just chicken, or for a vegetarian version, try jackfruit in place of the chicken.
Keywords: mole chicken, chicken stuffed poblano peppers, baked chile rellenos, naked chile rellenos