Tequila Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate
Smooth, spicy tequila spiked Mexican hot chocolate is a rich, creamy treat that is easy to make and so delicious. This boozy hot cocoa with a hint of cinnamon and cayenne is sure to warm you up on a cold day! (gluten-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: drink
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3 cups milk of choice
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder (I like dark cocoa powder)
- 3 tbsp tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 oz tequila
- To make hot chocolate, add all ingredients except for tequila to a small saucepan. Whisk to combine. Heat on low until mixture comes to a gentle boil, stirring.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add tequila and whisk again.
- Divide hot chocolate among 3 mugs. Top each mug with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and/or garnish with cinnamon sticks.
- Make sure you don't add the tequila until the end, after you've turned off the heat, or else the alcohol will cook out.
- You can use your favorite non-dairy milk, to make it dairy-free, it just may not be as thick or creamy.
- Make sure you're using cayenne pepper, not chili powder. You want the heat, not chile flavor.
- Adjust the amount of spices, salt and/or tequila to suit your taste.
- If you already have hot cocoa mix, prepare three servings on the stove, adding the spices and tequila in the same amounts as listed in the recipe.
- This recipe would also be delicious with mezcal in place of silver tequila.
Keywords: Mexican hot chocolate with tequila, tequila spiked hot chocolate, homemade Mexican hot chocolate