The Best Cutout Sugar Cookies With Icing
These cutout sugar cookies with frosting are the best sugar cookies ever! Tender with slightly crispy edges, they’re both delicious and perfect for decorating. (nut-free, dairy-free option)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total Time: 57 minutes
- Yield: About 4 dozen 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (can substitute coconut oil)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup oil (vegetable, canola, or avocado)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute up to half white whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars, and vanilla.
- Add eggs, and oil and beat well until fluffy.
- Sift together remaining ingredients. Slowly add to sugar mixture while beating. Mix well.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick between two sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. The cooler the dough is, the easier it will be, so work quickly. You may need extra flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden. Remove from cookie sheet onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Frost as desired (see recipe below).
For the frosting:
- Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Add vanilla, then milk one tbsp at a time, stirring or beating with a mixer constantly until you reach desired consistency.
- Add food coloring one drop at a time until you reach the desired color.
- Add frosting to a squeeze bottle or zip-top bag with the corner snipped off so that you can easily squeeze the frosting onto the cookies.
- Frost cookies and let dry before stacking or storing them. If you use sprinkles, do so immediately after adding frosting so that they stick.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature up to a week.
Keywords: the best sugar cookies, cutout sugar cookies, sugar cookies with icing