Strawberries and Cream Grilled Angel Food Cake
Fire up the grill for this strawberries and cream grilled angel food cake! Light and fluffy angel food cake get caramelized on the grill and is topped off with juicy macerated strawberries and fresh whipped cream in this delicious summer dessert.
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooling Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: about 8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tbsp water, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
Make the cake:
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place sugar in a food processor and process until superfine, about 1-2 minutes.
- Sift half of the sugar with salt and flour. Set aside.
- Add egg whites, water and cream of tartar to the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on high speed until egg whites form stiff peaks, about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn mixer to medium low speed and slowly add in remaining sugar. Whisk until thick and shiny.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts and continue to whisk until thick, about 1 minute.
- Sift in flour, one fourth at a time, folding in gently with a spatula until incorporated.
- Gently spoon mixture into an ungreased 9"x 5" loaf pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until cake springs back to the touch.
- Remove cake from the oven and invert the pan on a cooling rack until completely cool.
For the strawberries:
- Slice strawberries thinly. Add sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir and let stand for at least an hour to macerate, stirring every once in a while.
- Slice cooled angel food cake into 1 inch slices.
- Make sure grill pan or grill grates are clean. Heat to medium heat.
- Spray or brush cake with neutral flavored oil. Grill slices of cake until char lines form, about 2 minutes per side.
- Plate grilled pieces of cake. Top with strawberries and homemade whipped cream.
- Make sure to use fresh egg whites, not from a carton. The kind in a carton will not hold the volume of air that fresh ones do.
- You can use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer.
- "Stiff peaks" form when the foam holds its shape when you lift the whisk away in a little peak.
- It's important not to grease the pan so that the cake can rise fully. A metal pan will bake the most evenly. To release the cooled cake from the pan, run a thin, sharp knife around the edges.
- Cake can be made up to 2 days in advance. Keep it whole to prevent it from drying out.
- The strawberries can be made up to a day in advance. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: strawberries and cream angel food cake, grilled angel food cake with strawberries