Easy Grilled Chicken Fajitas
These easy grilled chicken fajitas with a simple marinade and skillet bell peppers and onions are a delicious way to get your Mexican food fix at home that can be cooked entirely on the grill! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour (includes marinating)
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Tex-mex
For the chicken:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast filets
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
For the veggies:
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 8 warm corn tortillas
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Salsa or pico
- Shredded cheese
- In a large bowl or other container, mix garlic, chipotle powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, lime juice and oil. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat grill to high to preheat. Turn down to low just before adding chicken. Place chicken on the grill and cook 5-7 minutes per side, or until grill lines appear and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- While chicken is cooking, cook the peppers and onions. Place a cast iron skillet directly on the grill. Add oil, peppers, and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add worcestershire sauce about halfway through.
- Remove chicken from the grill and slice thinly. Add to the skillet with the peppers and onions before serving.
- Serve fajitas with warmed corn tortillas and toppings of your choice.
- Make sure your chicken is even thickness for evenly cooked chicken. Once you place it on the grill, don't disturb it until grill lines appear to avoid sticking. Also, I highly recommend a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked through without drying it out.
- You can wrap the tortillas in foil and place them on the top rack (or over indirect heat) on the grill to warm while everything cooks.
- Slice peppers and onions to even thickness to make sure they are evenly cooked.
- If you don't have a grill, you can cook these inside in a grill pan or skillet in the oven. Preheat the grill pan or skillet on the stove to get it nice and hot, then sear the chicken for about 2-3 minutes per side. Finish in the oven at 350°F until the chicken is cooked through. Cook the peppers and onions in a skillet on the stovetop, then slice the chicken and add to the skillet with peppers and onions.
Keywords: easy grilled chicken fajitas, skillet chicken fajitas, healthy chicken fajitas recipe