Salted Miso Caramel Sauce
Enhance your basic caramel sauce with the umami flavor of miso. Miso caramel is easy to make on the stovetop with just 3 ingredients, and great for topping all of your favorite desserts!
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: about 1 cup 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbsp miso + 2 tbsp warm water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- In a small bowl, whisk the miso and warm water. Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium high heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Stop stirring and continue heating until mixture boils. Boil without stirring until golden.
- When golden brown, turn off heat and carefully add half and half, stirring. The mixture will bubble!
- Stir in strained miso mixture and salt.
- If needed, heat caramel back up and simmer to thicken.
- Be sure not to stir while the caramel is boiling to avoid crystals forming in the caramel.
- If the caramel gets too sticky and won't combine while adding the half and half, turn the heat on low to help it blend.
- You can use heavy cream in place of half and half.
- Store caramel sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Keywords: miso caramel sauce, salted miso caramel