Thai Coconut Pumpkin Curry Soup
Spice things up this fall with a super simple Thai Coconut Pumpkin Curry Soup that's easy to make but big on flavor! With only 7 ingredients and ready in 30 minutes or less, this vegan soup is great for meal prep or a quick weeknight dinner. (vegan, gluten-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: about 5 cups 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1/2 tsp olive oil (avocado or coconut oil work well too)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 tsp red Thai curry paste
- 2 tsp fresh ginger paste
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Coconut milk
- Pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- In a small pot on the stove, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onions are soft, 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and simmer on low 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool slightly. Carefully puree soup using an immersion blender or a regular blender.
- Serve soup warm with a drizzle of coconut milk, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds (optional).
- Make sure to cook the onions and garlic until nice and soft. This helps with flavor development, and will also give you a smooth, velvety texture. Don't skip the simmering with the other ingredients for the same reasons.
- If you are using a regular blender to puree the soup, be extra careful! I suggest letting the soup cool a little bit before blending and leaving the lid slightly cracked or taking out the center vent if there is one, and blending with a kitchen towel over the top.
- If you prefer your soup a little thinner, blend with a little extra broth or coconut milk until it's the perfect texture for you.
- If you like things extra spicy, add more curry paste or a pinch of cayenne.
- You can also make this soup with cooked and mashed sweet potato or butternut squash. One can of pumpkin is roughly 1 3/4 cups.
Keywords: thai coconut pumpkin curry soup, easy pumpkin curry soup, vegan pumpkin soup