Roasted Poblano Skillet Queso Blanco
Easy skillet queso blanco with roasted poblanos is a cheesy, delicious queso dip made with real cheese (no velveeta here!) and loaded with spicy flavor. Grab some chips, because it's perfect for game day snacking and sharing with friends. (gluten-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: about 3 cups 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 1 tbsp butter (or oil)
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened ( I use Neufchatel cheese)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 8 oz block Monterrey jack or pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 tsp hot sauce (such as Cholula or Tobasco)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place poblano pepper on a small sheet pan lined with foil or parchment. Roast in the oven, turning the pepper halfway through until blistered on the outside, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool, covered.
- Once poblano is cool enough to handle, gently rub the skin to remove it. Discard skin, stem, and seeds. Dice the pepper and set aside.
- Dice onion, garlic and jalapeño, discarding seeds and stem.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until soft.
- Turn heat to low. Add cream cheese and milk and whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in grated cheese and whisk until smooth. Stir in hot sauce, salt, pepper, cilantro, and diced poblano. Remove from heat and serve hot.
- You don't want the milk to scorch or curdle, so make sure the heat is lowered when you add the milk.
- If you want more spice, add more jalapeño, poblano, or hot sauce, or use pepper jack cheese instead of Monterey jack.
- Use block cheese and grate it yourself for the best texture. Shredded cheese has additives that keep it from caking in the bag, which will clump up in the queso.
- If the queso gets cold, just place it back on the stove for a moment and heat it back up, adding a little milk and stirring as necessary.
Keywords: skillet queso blanco, roasted poblano queso, poblano skillet queso