One Skillet Mushroom BBQ Chicken
Get a delicious dinner that the whole family will love on the table in less than 45 minutes with this one skillet cheesy mushroom BBQ chicken! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (8 oz) container mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Slice onion and mushrooms into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk BBQ sauce, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast in half vertically so that you have 4 thin chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add half of the oil and sear chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Turn heat to low and add remaining oil to the skillet. Add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce into the skillet with mushrooms and onions.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and turn to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook until chicken is done, about 5-10 minutes. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped green onions (optional).
- If you're gluten-free, be sure the BBQ sauce you use is gluten-free!
- You can cook this dinner completely on the stove if you'd rather. Cover the skillet with a lid after adding the cheese and simmer on the stove over low heat until chicken is done throughout.
- If you prefer, you can use 4 small chicken breasts and skip the butterflying. If so, they will probably take longer to cook because they'll be thicker.
- To make things quicker, you can use pre-sliced mushrooms and 4 chicken cutlets.
Keywords: one skillet mushroom bbq chicken, chicken breasts with mushrooms and bbq sauce