Mini Meyer Lemon Tarts with Shortbread Crust
Sweet and tangy Mini Meyer Lemon Tarts with buttery shortbread crusts are easy and delicious spring and summer desserts!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: about 8 tarts (depending on pan size)
- Category: dessert
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup white whole wheat (or all purpose) flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Meyer lemon curd (recipe below)
For the lemon curd:
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 3-4 Meyer lemons)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 3 large eggs + 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), cubed
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add flour, salt, and vanilla and mix well. Refrigerate dough for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Remove dough from refrigerator and press into mini tart pans. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool before removing tarts from pans.
- Fill each cooled tart with lemon curd. Top with berries or whipped cream (optional).
- To make lemon curd:
- Whisk eggs and egg yolks very well in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat lemon zest, juice, sugar and salt over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat. Slowly scoop a bit (about 1/2 cup) into the eggs while whisking.
- Pour egg mixture into the pan on the stove while whisking to prevent curdling. Turn heat back on and cook, whisking, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and remove from heat.
- At this point you can strain the zest out and any egg solids that may be in the curd (this will happen the first few times you make it). Cover lemon curd and chill until ready to use.