Mediterranean Chicken and Farro Bake
This delicious Mediterranean chicken and farro bake is a complete meal in one dish! A bed of farro with balsamic marinated chicken, juicy roasted tomatoes and white beans topped with mozzarella is a healthy, comforting summer dinner you'll love.
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 min
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
For the Farro:
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
For the Chicken:
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the Tomato Topping:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup canned white beans, drained (such as canellini)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 4 oz grated mozzarella cheese
- Cook the farro. In a saucepan, bring the farro and broth to a boil. Cover, turn the heat to low
- and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain any excess liquid. Spread prepared farro in a lightly greased 9x13" baking dish.
- Marinate the chicken. Place chicken breasts in a bowl or zip-top bag with salt, pepper, garlic, balsamic vinegar and oil. Stir to evenly coat and place in the refrigerator to marinate while the farro cooks.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place tomatoes and white beans in a large bowl. Add garlic, salt, pepper, balsamic and basil. Stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Sear chicken for 3-4 minutes per side. Place on top of farro in the baking dish.
- Spread tomato mixture around the chicken. Top evenly with mozzarella. Cover and bake 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until chicken is cooked through, 10-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F when it is done.
- Drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with fresh basil (optional).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- You can use any cooked whole grain in place of the farro, such as quinoa or bulgur wheat. You'll need about 4 cups.
- If you don't have fresh basil, use 1/2 tsp dried basil.
Keywords: chicken tomato farro bake, chicken and tomatoes with farro, tomato basil white bean chicken