Low Sugar Wild Plum Jam
Preserve summer's plums with this delicious recipe for low sugar wild plum jam. (gluten-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: about 4 half-pint jars 1x
- Category: spread
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups prepared wild or regular plums (see instructions below)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp low sugar pectin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- To prepare the plums, wash them and remove the pits. (I use a cherry pitter for small wild plums). Place plums in a food mill and mash all of them, catching the juice in a large bowl. Discard the skins.
- Place milled plums, water, and lemon juice in a large stock pot. Stir in pectin and heat the mixture over high meat until it comes to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Make sure you are stirring the whole time to prevent the bottom from scorching.
- Add sugar and return to a rolling boil. Continue boiling for a minute, while stirring. Remove from heat.
- If you are not canning the jam, let cool for a few minutes before pouring into containers. Allow at least an hour in the refrigerator to solidify. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can also be frozen in freezer-safe containers.
- If you are canning the jam, follow the canning instructions from my Low Sugar Strawberry Jam .
Keywords: wild plum jam, low sugar jam