To Make the Meatballs:
- In a large bowl combine all meatball ingredients. Use your hands to mix, if needed.
- Roll mixture into 1 1/2 inch meatballs (about the size of a golf ball). You can place them in the refrigerator while you prepare the rice.
- Place a cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 425°F. Once hot, place the meatballs in the skillet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Broil on high for 1 minute to get a nice brown color on the top. Remove from oven.
To Make The Jeweled Rice:
- Crumble the saffron threads between your fingers into a small bowl. Add the hot water and seep for at least 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a dry skillet (or the pot you will use for the rice) over medium heat, toast the pistachios and almonds until golden and fragrant, about 5-10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the ghee or butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add spices and rice and continue cooking until fragrant and toasted, another 1-2 minutes.
- Add saffron mixture and broth, lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and rest 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Fluff with a fork and stir in orange zest. Transfer to a serving dish and stir in pomegranate, raisins, toasted nuts, mint and parsley.
- Stir together yogurt and freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Plate rice and serve with hot meatballs and yogurt sauce.