Healthy Kale Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing and Bread Crumbs
is not just any old Caesar salad! This kale Caesar salad features thin kale ribbons with healthy homemade creamy Caesar dressing and toasted breadcrumb croutons. You'll never look back after trying it!
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: chopped
- Cuisine: Greek
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 bunch kale (I like dinosaur kale)
- 1/8 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Homemade Greek Yogurt Caesar Dressing
- Make the dressing: whisk all ingredients together or blend in a blender. Pour into a jar and store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make the bread crumb croutons. In a food processor or blender, pulse bread slices until small crumbs form. Add 1/2 tsp olive oil and pulse to coat the bread.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and toast until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Wash kale well. Slice into very thin ribbons and place in a large bowl. Add remaining 1/2 tsp olive oil and use your hands to message the kale until slightly more tender.
- Add sliced onion, parmesan, and bread crumbs to the kale.
- Pour in desired amount of dressing (start with about 1/4 cup) and toss to coat everything evenly.
- Optional: sprinkle with more bread crumbs and parmesan before serving.
- This salad holds up well in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Add another drizzle of dressing (and sprinkle of warm bread crumbs, if you like!) before eating.
- The keys to good kale salads are: 1. Wash the kale well, 2. Slice it VERY thinly, and 3. Don't skip the messaging.
- If you don't have time to make the dressing from scratch, use store bought. I also like to use store-bought oily Caesar mixed with Greek yogurt in a pinch.
Keywords: the best kale caesar salad, kale salad with homemade caesar dressing