Ham and Swiss Strata
This savory 6 ingredient ham and swiss strata is a delicious, easy breakfast or brunch recipe for a group, and it's perfect for using up leftover ham or day-old bread!
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 70 miuntes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups cubed day-old bread
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups ham, chopped into cubes
- 4 oz swiss cheese, chopped (or about 1 cup grated)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Cut bread into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes. If bread is fresh, spread on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes to dry it out.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, dijon, salt and pepper. Add bread, ham and cheese and stir to coat. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour into greased baking dish. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until the center appears set. If the top starts to become too brown, you can lightly cover it with foil while baking.
- Let strata cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- To make in advance, mix strata and pour into baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Uncover and let sit at room temperature while oven preheats in the morning.
- If the top of the strata starts to brown too quickly before it's finished, loosely cover it with foil.
- If you need to extend the life of leftover ham, place it in the freezer until you're ready to use it.
- If you'd like to add any vegetables or other ingredients, go for it! Leftover roasted veggies work great. If you want to add any other veggies, sauté them for just a bit before adding them in with the ham.
- I like to use whole wheat bread or sourdough, but any bread will work! This recipe is great for leftover dinner rolls or even croissants.
- Swap out the swiss for any cheese you have on hand.
- Add any spices or herbs you prefer!
Keywords: ham and swiss strata, leftover ham breakfast casserole, leftover ham breakfast bake