Grilled Green Chile Chicken
This flavorful grilled green chile chicken topped with roasted Hatch chiles and melted cheese is a healthy chicken recipe to spice up your weeknight dinner routine!
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Southwest
For the marinade:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted Hatch chiles (about 2 whole chiles), skins, seeds, and stems removed
For the chicken:
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- 4 large roasted Hatch chiles, skins, seeds, and stems removed (or 1 small can chopped green chiles)
- 1/2 cup monterrey jack or white cheddar cheese, grated
- In a blender or food processor, combine all of the marinade ingredients. Pour into a large zipper bag or container and add the chicken breasts, coating each well. Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to a few hours.
- Heat grill to high heat. Turn down to medium and grill chicken on each side until for 3-4 minutes. Move chicken to top rack of the grill (or turn heat to low). Continue cooking until chicken is almost done.
- Place 1 green chile on each chicken breast and top with cheese. Close lid and continue to cook until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through. Chicken is done when a thermometer inserted into the center reaches 165° F.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- I always suggest having a meat thermometer to ensure safely cooked chicken without over-cooking it. You want to reach 165°F for safe chicken.
- If you're in a hurry, you can skip the marinating step and simply season your chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then drizzle with worcestershire sauce and olive oil before cooking.
- You can use sliced cheese instead of shredded. It tends to be less messy.
- If you don't have a grill, you can use a grill pan on the stove, or bake in a baking dish in the oven at 375°F.
Keywords: grilled green chile chicken, grilled chicken with hatch chiles