Easy Instant Pot New Years Black Eyed Peas
Make these easy Instant Pot New Years Black Eyed Peas with ham and greens to bring luck and prosperity in the coming year! This simple Southern recipe for black eyed peas requires no soaking and is ready in about 30 minutes from start to finish. (gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: about 12 cups
- Category: side dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 1 ham hock or a bone saved from a spiral sliced ham (or 1/2 cup diced ham)
- 1 1/2 cups dry black eyed peas (or 3 cups soaked)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste*
- 3 cups chopped collard greens or kale
- Set Instant Pot to ‘Sautee’ mode on ‘High’. Set timer for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in the bottom of the pot. Add garlic, celery and onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Cancel ‘Sautee’ mode.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Lock lid and set vent to ‘Sealing’.
- Press ‘Pressure Cook’ and set to ‘High’. Set timer for 17 minutes for dry peas or 7 minutes for soaked peas. Turn off ‘Keep Warm’.
- Once timer is done, let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Turn went to ‘Venting’ to release any remaining pressure.
- Unlock lid, stir, and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in and airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
*The amount of salt in this recipe can vary a lot based on the broth and meat used. I recommend starting with just a little or none and adding more to taste later if needed.
Keywords: new years, black eyed peas, instant pot