Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Slice and bake cranberry pistachio shortbread cookies with only 6 ingredients are the perfect easy Christmas cookie for the holiday season! Make these buttery, lightly sweet shortbread cookies for Christmas cookie exchanges or to give out as holiday treats. (vegetarian)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 85 min
- Yield: 12 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tsp pistachio extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Optional: 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- In a food processor, combine butter, powdered sugar, pastry flour, pistachio extract and salt until a smooth dough forms.
- Add pistachios and cranberries and pulse to roughly chop and incorporate them into the dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 1 1/2 to 2-inch thick log. Roll in a sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- When you're ready to bake, heat oven to 350°F.
- Use a sharp knife to cut chilled dough into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Optional: Melt additional white chocolate chips according to package directions (or in 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between each until smooth) to drizzle over cooled cookies or to dip of the cooled cookies in.
- When making the dough, omit the salt if you're using salted butter or salted pistachios.
- You can roll the dough into a log directly on the plastic wrap if you'd like to save a little mess.
- Make sure to chill the dough until it's very firm. This will make the cookies easy to slice and help them to hold their texture.
- Handle the dough with your hands as little as possible after chilling. You want it to stay nice and firm, and warm hands will soften the butter in the dough.
- Use a large, sharp knife for slicing so you can get through the pistachios in a clean cut.
- Allow the cookies to cool before handling and dipping/drizzling with chocolate so that they don't crumble.
- Substitute Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour for the Whole Wheat Pastry Flour if you'd like.
- I've made these shortbread with regular granulated sugar before and it works just as well as powdered sugar.
- If you can't find pistachio extract (I get it on Amazon), you can use almond extract.
Keywords: cranberry pistachio shortbread cookies, slice and bake shortbread cookies, Christmas shortbread cookies