Copycat R&D Pine Room Salad
Love the Pine Room Salad from R&D Kitchen? Me too. Here's my closest copycat recipe for the deliciously crunchy chopped kale and lettuce salad with toasted almonds, boiled egg, and a bacony mustard dressing.
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: chopped
- Cuisine: American
For The Dressing:
- 1 tsp finely chopped shallot
- 1 strip cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp reserved bacon grease, warm
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey mustard (I like Maille)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
For The Salad:
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 4 cups lettuce, finely chopped (I use 1 cup each of romaine, kale, red leaf lettuce, and cabbage)
- 1 large boiled egg
- 1 oz aged white cheddar cheese (I like Sartori)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Cook the bacon, reserving the grease. (I like to cook it in a cast iron skillet in the oven at 375°F for 10-12 minutes).
- While the bacon is cooking, hard boil the egg if it's not already boiled, and toast the almonds by baking in the oven at 375°F for 8-10 minutes. Cool and peel the egg.
- Chop the lettuce, onion, almonds, shallot and bacon. Use a large-holed grater to grate the cheese and boiled egg.
- In a jar or small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together until combined.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl. Pour the dressing in, starting with only half, and toss to coat. Add more dressing to taste if you'd like.
- Serve the salad with the dressing warm, or refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
- Start with only half of the dressing, then add more as needed. Leftover dressing can be stored in the refrigerator to make another salad!
- If you don't have honey mustard, you can use 1 tbsp of dijon mustard + 1 tsp of honey.
- You can use red wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or apple cider vinegar in place of white wine vinegar, if that's what you have.
- As far as lettuce goes, I like to use one cup each of romaine, red leaf lettuce, cabbage, and dinosaur kale, but whatever combination of lettuces you have will work. But keep in mind it will be better with at least one crunchy lettuce and one softer one.
- If you don’t have or can't find aged white cheddar (I like Sartori or Kerrygold Reserve), you can use another firm aged cheese, such as Bellavitano or Manchego.
Keywords: R&D Pine Room Salad, chopped kale salad, kale salad with bacon dressing