Easy Carrot Top Pesto
Don't throw out your carrot tops! Turn those greens into delicious pesto with this easy recipe. (gluten-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: about 1 cup 1x
- Category: sauce
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 small bunch carrot greens (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- Wash and dry your carrot greens well to remove any dirt that may still be hanging out in them. If the stems are tender, you can throw them in, but remove any tough or woody stems.
- Place carrot greens, basil, garlic, walnuts, and parmesan in the food processor and pulse until everything is finely chopped.
- Add the salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice and pulse until you have a thick-ish paste but not a completely blended mixture. Add additional olive oil if needed.
- Store in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it!
- For a dairy-free version, omit the parmesan.
- For a more traditional pesto, you can use pine nuts in place of the walnuts. I always have walnuts on hand so that's what I use. You can also omit them if you're allergic to nuts.
- If you don't have a food processor you can finely chop everything by hand or use a mortar and pestle to grind all of the dry ingredients.
Keywords: carrot top pesto, carrot green pesto