Brown Butter Sage Sweet Potato Mash
Elevate your sweet potato side dish with this savory brown butter sage sweet potato mash! It’s easy enough to serve on a weeknight, but fancy enough for a holiday side dish! (gluten-free, nut-free, vegetarian)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: side dish
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a medium saucepan with whole garlic cloves and broth. Add water as needed to just cover the sweet potatoes.
- Bring sweet potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sage-infused brown butter. Finely chop sage. Add butter to a small skillet and heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until butter is golden. Add sage and stir, continuing to cook until butter is a deeper brown but not burned. Turn off heat.
- Drain sweet potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Add browned sage butter, salt and pepper. Use a potato ricer to mash sweet potatoes until smooth, adding cooking liquid as needed until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve hot. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe can easily be doubled.
Keywords: side dish, sweet potatoes, brown butter