Brown Butter Bourbon Rice Krispie Treats (Rice Whiskey Treats)
These easy 4-ingredient brown butter bourbon rice krispie treats (aka rice whiskey treats) take your favorite childhood treat and upgrade them with brown butter, a splash of bourbon, and sea salt. You'll love this fun fall dessert that's made in just 10 minutes! (nut-free)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 2 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10-16 squares 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 4 cups brown rice crisp cereal (or regular Rice Krispies)
- Flaky sea salt
- Prepare a square baking dish by lining with parchment or by lightly greasing it.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Keep cooking, stirring, and let it get golden and foamy.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the marshmallows. As soon as the marshmallows are melted, stir in bourbon.
- Quickly fold in rice cereal until evenly coated. Pour mixture into prepared pan, pressing down with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with flaky sea salt. Let treats cool and set up for 30 minutes to an hour before cutting into squares.
- Prepare the pan first, and have all of your ingredients ready at the stove. This recipe moves fast, and if you don't do things immediately, it could mess up the result.
- Watch the butter carefully as it browns. It can go from perfectly browned to burned quickly. You want it golden, bubbly, and smelling a bit nutty.
- Make sure you turn off the heat to stir in the marshmallows, bourbon, and rice cereal. If the marshmallows get too hot, they will harden as they cool, leaving you with rice krispie bricks instead of the pull-apart treats you crave.
- Don't use table salt for the topping. It's not the same. If you can't find flake salt (I buy it on Amazon), you can use sea salt from a grinder on a coarse grind.
- If you choose the brown rice cereal like I do, make sure it's actually crispy, not just puffed brown rice. A few that I know of are Nature's Path Organics, Barbara's, One Degree Organic, and Whole Foods Brand.
- I like to use a greased spatula for all of my stirring and pressing to reduce sticking. You can also use buttered hands!
- For extra tall rice krispie treats, use a loaf pan instead of a square pan.
Keywords: bourbon rice krispie treats, brown butter rice krispie treats, rice whiskey treats