Bourbon Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
Bourbon banana chocolate chip bread pudding with bourbon sauce is an easy, delicious dessert that makes any occasion more special, and it's perfect for using up brown bananas and crusty bread! (gluten-free option)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9-12 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 1 tbsp bourbon (optional)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups day-old bread cubes (French, whole wheat, or regular sandwich bread)
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
For the bourbon sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 3/4 cup tbsp half and half or heavy cream
- pinch sea salt
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, bourbon, brown sugar and vanilla until well combined. Stir in bread cubes and banana slices. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Place butter in a square or round baking dish and place it in the oven for a few minutes to melt. Carefully remove the dish and swirl the butter around the dish.
- Add half of the bread mixture into the dish. Layer half of the chocolate chips on top. Repeat with remaining bread and chocolate chips.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, or until the center is just set.
- To make the bourbon sauce, add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over low heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Serve bread pudding with bourbon sauce and vanilla ice cream (optional but highly recommended).
- For gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free bread.
- You can increase the brown sugar in the bread pudding if you'd like it to be sweeter, but I find it unnecessary with the sweetness from the bananas, chocolate chips and bourbon sauce.
- If your bread isn't yet a little stale, spread the cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for a few minutes. This will help them absorb the egg mixture better without getting soggy.
- If you're using a metal pan, start checking for doneness a little sooner, as it will cook faster in a metal pan than in a glass or ceramic pan.
- Store leftover bread pudding in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 4 days.
Keywords: bourbon banana chocolate chip bread pudding, banana chocolate chip bread pudding with bourbon sauce