Fresh summer berries topped with a fluffy crust in a cast-iron skillet makes this triple berry skillet cobbler the perfect summer dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Is there any dessert that embodies summer more than a berry cobbler? Sweet, juicy summer berries with a crusty, buttery crust, hot from the oven with a scoop of melty vanilla ice cream pooling around the edges…
You can wipe the drool off your face now.
Summer is here and so is the recipe for this Triple Berry Skillet Cobbler! I absolutely love fresh summer berries, and this skillet cobbler is the perfect way to use them. I used not one or two, but THREE types of berries in this recipe just to be safe. Blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries, oh my! (Yay, antioxidants!)
I actually should have made this a few days earlier before I had to throw out 2 different packs of berries that had gone moldy on me. My heart was breaking as I shoved them down the disposal…
Back to the cobbler. The glorious cobbler!
In my mind, the cobbler has to have a crust to filling ratio of AT LEAST 1:1. The crust is very important. Any less crust and it’s no cobbler at all, just a bowl of berries with a biscuit crumb on top. Must have a crust.
Let me tell you, this recipe has plenty of thick, fluffy, buttery crust to go with those glorious summer berries. It does not disappoint.
Did I mention it’s the whole-wheat crust? Well, it is. I personally like whole-wheat better, but it’s also a little redeeming quality in something that usually is a pile of butter and carbs. #Winning. But you can use all-purpose flour if you must. I won’t tell. I also used brown sugar instead of regular white sugar to give it a hint of richness that white sugar just doesn’t provide. Yum!
As a rule, Triple Berry Skillet Cobbler must be served with a scoop of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. (Not sponsored, I just really love it.) It makes this amazing dessert that much better. And if you don’t have Bluebell where you live, well, you better get to Texas very quickly, my friend, because there is no substitute. Sorry.
Now, go find yourself a skillet, some berries, and some Bluebell and get to baking! This cobbler is just waiting to be on your summer menu, and you’ve got nothing better to do. Happy Summer!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Triple Berry Skillet Cobbler
Fresh summer berries topped with a fluffy crust in a cast iron skillet makes this triple berry skillet cobbler the perfect summer dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
For the filling:
- 4 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries, (I used strawberries, blackberries and raspberries)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 6 tbsp cold butter, melted
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In a large bowl, mix together all filling ingredients. Pour into a 10″ to 12″ cast iron skillet.
- Rinse the bowl and make the topping. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir in butter until a crumbly mixture forms. Stir in milk and vanilla, careful not to overmix.
- Drop batter over berries. Sprinkle with additional sugar and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving with vanilla ice cream (my favorite) or whipped cream.
Keywords: healthy berry cobbler, triple berry cobbler, skillet cobbler