Crab Stuffed Grilled Artichokes make the most delicious spring appetizer or light summer dinner. Fresh artichokes stuffed with a light and easy crab salad that is perfect for dipping!
There is something so wonderful about fresh artichokes that reminds me of spring. They are one of the first fresh, green vegetables to arrive at the market in the early weeks of spring and their gorgeous blooms make the most lovely appetizers.
A warm evening outside with a glass of crisp white wine, leisurely snacking on artichoke leaves while conversing with a loved one is my idea of a perfect spring or summer evening. Can you imagine anything more relaxing?
Imagining such an evening was the inspiration behind this dish. Mr. Table and I love to make a date night at home out of tapas, wine, and music. Since the weather is warming up and it is officially spring, I knew Crab Stuffed Grilled Artichokes would make the perfect small plate to add to our tapas night.
If you’ve never tried grilling an artichoke, you must! Gorgeous charred grill marks take artichokes to a whole new level of delicious, and that’s before the crab even comes into the picture. Don’t be intimidated by the steps involved. Once you clean out the fuzzy choke, the rest is a breeze.
Mix up the light crab filling while the artichokes steam, and you’re just a few minutes on the grill from the most beautiful spring or summer appetizer. The best part is, you can pluck the leaves from the outsides and use them to scoop up the crab filling so that you get a little taste of both with each bite!
If you want to make Crab Stuffed Grilled Artichokes into an impressive, light summer dinner, just place 2 halves on top of a green salad and serve with some grilled whole-grain French bread. It’s an elegant dish that only looks difficult!
By posting this recipe, I am entering a contest hosted by Ocean Mist Farms and am eligible to win prizes. I was not compensated for my time.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Crab Stuffed Grilled Artichokes
Crab Stuffed Grilled Artichokes make the most delicious spring appetizer or light summer dinner. Fresh artichokes stuffed with a light and easy crab salad that is perfect for dipping! (gluten-free, nut-free)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 large lemon, halved
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp capers, drained
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup lump crab meat
- To prepare artichokes, use kitchen shears to trim off point ends of leaves. Trim stem to about 2 inches and use a vegetable peeler to peel away thick outer layer. Cut off top 1/2 inch of artichokes. Rub peeled stem and top with a lemon wedge to prevent browning.
- Cut artichokes in half and use a spoon to scoop out the fuzzy chokes and tiny inner leaves. Rub insides with lemon juice. And place inside-down in a steamer basket.
- Heat 1 inch of water in the bottom of a stock pot to boiling. Turn heat to low, place steamer basket into pot and cover. Steam artichokes 15-20 minutes.
- Heat grill or grill pan to high heat. Bush the cut sides of artichokes with olive oil and grill face down for 5-10 minutes or until grill marks appear and hearts are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare crab filling. In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Once artichokes are done, remove from grill and place on a serving platter. Fill the center of each artichoke with a scoop of crab filling. You can eat with a fork, or use the artichoke leaves to scoop out the filling. Enjoy!
Keywords: crab artichokes, grilled artichoke