Delicious and healthy vegetarian butternut squash breakfast tacos filled with roasted butternut squash, eggs, and an avocado cream sauce are sure to spice up your morning! They’re a great way to use leftover butternut squash. (gluten-free, nut-free, vegetarian, dairy-free option)
Ok, y’all. I promised more taco recipes in this post. And slowly but surely, I’m delivering on that promise. It’s not that we don’t make tacos. It’s just that we don’t often make fancy, photo-worthy tacos. Or at least at a decent hour when I can get good lighting and photography beautiful tacos. Lucky for me (and for you, I guess!), breakfast is the perfect time to capture these beautiful butternut squash breakfast tacos on camera.
Butternut squash breakfast tacos are the perfect vegetarian breakfast taco option. They’ve still got plenty of protein from eggs, but they’re also filled with veggie goodness from smoky roasted butternut squash and onions. I never really cared for meat in my breakfast tacos, so I absolutely adore these babies.
The best way to make these super easy to prepare is to make a whole butternut squash the night before and then eat the leftovers in the morning in these lovely tacos. But if you wake up with a craving for breakfast tacos on a lazy weekend morning, you can sit back and sip coffee while you wait for the squash to cook.
There are a million ways to customize these butternut squash breakfast tacos to your liking. I love corn tortillas, but use whatever kind you like – flour, wheat blend, paleo – you name it! You can also substitute the yogurt and cheese for dairy-free options to make this allergy-friendly. Or if you want some bacon in there, be my guest!
Of course, no taco is complete without some killer salsa. I love salsa verde made with green chiles, but again, make it your way! Happy breakfasting, my friends!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the comments!Print
Butterut Squash Breakfast Tacos
Delicious and healthy vegetarian butternut squash breakfast tacos filled with roasted butternut squash, eggs and an avocado cream sauce are sure to spice up your morning! They’re a great way to use leftover butternut squash. (gluten-free, nut-free, vegetarian, dairy-free option)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Tex-mex
For the Tacos:
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly cracked pepper
- 4 large eggs, scrambled or fried
For the Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt*
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 8 warmed corn tortillas
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Cotija cheese**
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, toss squash cubes and onion with olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Spread onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast 30-45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare avocado cream sauce by blending avocado, yogurt, cilantro ad lime in a food processor or blender.
- Cook eggs as desired during last 5 minutes of squash cooking.
- To assemble tacos, spoon butternut squash mixture and eggs onto tortillas. Drizzle with avocado sauce and sprinkle with cotija, cilantro and jalapenos (optional).
*non-dairy yogurt for dairy-free
**omit for dairy-free
Keywords: butternut squash tacos, vegetarian tacos