Skinny Kale Artichoke Dip is a delicious hot and cheesy dip filled with kale and artichokes, served with crispy wonton chips. It’s great for game-day snacking or a holiday appetizer!
Hello, weekend! I’m glad you’re here. I’ve needed an excuse to make this heavenly Skinny Kale Artichoke Dip, and you are it.
Can we all agree that spinach artichoke dip is one of the most loved dips of all time (besides guacamole, of course)?! I love hot, cheesy artichoke dip. It’s great for serving as a delicious appetizer for holiday parties or taking to football tailgates. But the traditional appetizer has a couple of flaws that I’d like to address.
For one thing, regular spinach artichoke dip is usually a loaded calorie bomb. It’s made with butter, mayonnaise, cream cheese, sour cream, or a combination or all of the listed offenders. Then there’s even more cheese mixed in and melted on top. It’s delicious, yes, but it’s easy to over-do it when there’s a big bowl of the goods and a pile of chips in front of you. Especially if you’re zoned out watching football or have had a couple of glasses of bubbly and are chatting away. What’s worse is that it’s posing as a healthy dip since it’s got spinach. Good try, but no.
Second, you normally have to cook your spinach (and if you’ve ever seen the Pioneer Woman make it, you have to cook your butter and cream cheese, too) before you bake it. I’m not about that extra step, so I replaced the spinach with kale. Unlike spinach, kale doesn’t release a bunch of liquid when it cooks. You can add raw chopped kale right in, stir everything up and bake it! You can even stir it up right in the baking dish so you don’t even have to wash a bowl. Perfect!
Now, to address the calorie-laden dip part. Besides upping the veggies for more bulk with fewer calories, I used plain Greek yogurt and low fat cream cheese instead of mayo or sour cream. I also used just a fraction of the parmesan. It’s a pretty flavorful cheese, so if you go with a good quality one, you only need a little.
Lastly, I made the wonton chips in the oven while the dip was baking, so that you have a little healthier chip to dip in this glorious Skinny Kale Artichoke Dip. I suggest serving it with cut-up veggies, too, for an even healthier vehicle to move dip to your mouth, but that’s up to you. I mean, you could even eat the cheesy, bubbly goodness straight from the pan with a spoon, although, you know, moderation please. Also you might burn the roof or your mouth. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Skinny Kale Artichoke Dip is a delicious hot and cheesy dip filled with kale and artichokes, served with crispy wonton chips. It's great for game-day snacking or a holiday appetizer!
- 1 block (8 oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 can (15 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 12 wonton wrappers
- Olive oil spray
- Salt (optional)
- Preheat oven 400° F.
- In a large bowl, stir together cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and 1/4 cup of the parmesan. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spread mixture into an 8x8" baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot with wonton chips.
- Stack wonton wrappers and cut in half on the diagonal to make triangles. Spread wrappers on a baking sheet in a single layer and spray with olive oil. Bake in the same oven as the dip for 5-8 minutes flipping chips halfway through. Salt if desired.