Sizzling Skillet Fajitas are a great way to bring the fiesta to your home! With just a few simple ingredients, the entire meal can be cooked outdoors.
What is your go-to dish when you eat at your favorite Mexican restaurant? Mine is always, always fajitas. No matter how good the rest of the menu looks, I just can’t be swayed away from a good classic. Nothing beats the excitement of hearing a sizzling platter come up behind you and then being dropped off right in front of you for you to devour. (Okay, maybe a few things, but try telling that to your growling stomach!)
Since my husband and I both love fajitas, we have been making them at home for years. It’s pretty simple to grill the meat, cook some veggies and have a little Tex-Mex fiesta right in your own home! But we still missed the sizzling platter that makes it more fun. So we decided to create our own. Enter the Cast-Iron Skillet .
The cast iron is one of our favorite pieces of cookware. It’s so versatile – from skillet sheet cake to casseroles to grilled cheese, this thing can do it all! And it’s the perfect vehicle for a sizzling skillet fajitas! And since it’s sturdy enough to be placed right on the grill, you can cook your whole meal outside. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
My husband came up with the simple spice blend for the fajita chicken. It’s just a few ingredients to delicious, juicy chicken right off the grill (you can also use it for beef if you prefer that). Then all you have to do is grill your veggies, warm your tortillas, and make a little “goodie plate” of cheese, guacamole, pico, sour cream (or greek yogurt!) and whatever else you’d like to top your fajitas! We bring the skillet straight to the table (on a hot pad) so we can enjoy the experience of eating skillet fajitas at our favorite Tex-Mex restaurant right in our own home! (It’s also a little more budget-friendly this way.)
If you’re looking for a way to get your fajita fix at home, look no further. Sizzling Skillet Fajitas are the perfect way to bring the fiesta to you, and are a fun way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Bonus points if you mix up a pitcher of Hatch Chile Margaritas or Blood Orange Margaritas! Be on the lookout for more fun Cinco de Mayo recipes coming up on Lively Table!
Sizzling Skillet Fajitas are a great way to bring the fiesta to your home!
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (6-8 oz)
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced
- Olive oil (for the skillet)
- 4 corn tortillas
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Salsa or pico
- Shredded cheese
- Cover chicken breast with plastic wrap and pound it to even thickness, about 1 inch.
- Mix Worcestershire sauce, olive oil and half of the lime juice. Place chicken in a shallow container or large zip top baggie and pour over the top. Let marinate for 30 minutes, turning chicken over halfway through.
- Meanwhile, slice bell pepper and onion and place in a cast iron skillet coated with olive oil. Set aside for later. Wrap tortillas in foil and set aside.
- Remove chicken to a plate and sprinkle one side with half of the chipotle, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Turn over and sprinkle with the remaining seasoning. Squeeze remaining lime juice over the top.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat. Place skillet with veggies onto the grill and cook, stirring until cooked but still firm. Place on the top rack to keep warm while you grill the chicken.
- Spray grill with oil. Place chicken breast on the grill and cook about 10-15 minutes, turning once, until the center reaches 145°F.
- While chicken is cooking, warm tortillas on the top rack of the grill.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and slice thinly. Add sliced chicken to the skillet with veggies and serve with tortillas, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, and salsa.