A delicious and healthy quinoa salad with roasted eggplant, kale and parmesan that can be enjoyed hot or cold! (gluten-free, vegetarian)
For my last recipe for National Whole Grains Month, and also as a transition into fall recipes, I’m sharing a recipe that I came up with last fall as I was getting into eggplant. For some reason I bought a bunch of eggplants…I think mostly because they are my favorite color. Or they were on sale. Yep, probably on sale, I can’t resist a good sale (it runs in the family)!
Since I had so much eggplant, I started roasting them and making lots of salads, one of which is this Roasted Eggplant Quinoa Salad. It has some yummy crispy roasted kale and parmesan cheese that pair nicely with fresh basil and the lemony dressing.
The best thing about this Roasted Eggplant Quinoa Salad is that it makes so much (hello leftovers!). It can be enjoyed hot or cold so if you want to make it ahead, feel free! You can also make the quinoa in advance and then heat it up if you want to serve it hot. And with whole grains and lots of veggies, this salad is the only side you need. Add some roasted chicken or fish, and you’ve got a complete, healthy meal! You can also add some chickpeas or lentils and leave out the cheese for my vegan readers. Either way this is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy some transitional veggies and whole grains. Be sure to share any recipes of mine that you make with #livelytable and @livelytable so I can see!
A delicious and healthy quinoa salad with roasted eggplant, kale, parmesan, and a lemony dressing that can be enjoyed hot or cold! (gluten-free, vegetarian)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 eggplant
- 4 large kale leaves, stalks removed
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 6 basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.
- Cut eggplant into uniform 1 inch cubes. Toss with 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil and spread onto one of the cookie sheets. Tear kale into uniform pieces and toss with other 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Spread onto other cookie sheet.
- Roast kale 10 minutes or until crispy but not burned. Roast eggplant 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, prepare quinoa. Rinse uncooked quinoa if it is not pre-rinsed. Mince garlic cloves and add quinoa, garlic, broth, and water to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until quinoa has soaked up all of the water.
- Thinly slice basil leaves into ribbons and prepare dressing by mixing lemon juice and olive oil.
- In a large bowl, toss together cooked quinoa, eggplant, and kale. Add dressing, parmesan, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or cold. This can be kept in the fridge, covered, up to 5 days.